1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CORN Based Salt

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kent Lawns, Jan 5, 2001.

1. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

We're bidding on a multi-site, multi-year account and they stated their current contractor uses a CORN based salt. Said it was more environmentally friendly, etc.

I've never heard of such a thing, is there anything to it?
  2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I think its sold under the magic trade name.
  3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge Member

A few counties in Wisconsin tried it a couple years back. Didn't work as well - dumped it after 1 season.
  4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Magic does fit into that catagory. However, Magic is a blend. Magic is regular rock salt, that is sprayed with a mixture of liquid Magnesium Chloride, and an "agricultural" byproduct. Together, they work well. Alone, they don't work as well. I guess it's a good recipie, but if you leave out ingriedients, then it doesn't perform as well.

On that same note, I just applied some Magic the other day to a job here. I went back today, and the area treated is black and wet. It is snowing, and we are expected to get 1 - 3". The parking lot was treated with plain rock salt the same day the magic was applied to the walks. Where the magic was spread onto the edges of the lot near the walks, snow is not building up. The rest of the lot is covered already. This is my first experience with Magic, and I am impressed with the results.

I have more info on Magic Salt here: