1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cordless Impact Guns

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Bad Luck, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Any recommendations on a quality unit?

2. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I have a Snap-On, excellent unit but was very expensive. I am going to buy a "cheapie" from Harbor freight for a spare just to see if there is a difference.

3. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

i have a snap-on and a ingersoll rand.the ingersoll has buy far more power

4. snoking

snoking Senior Member

18 volt snop-on all the way

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I have 18 Dewalt1/2in drive. I love it. Rated at 300 ftlbs. and it'll remove most any lug nut....even on a 1 ton.

6. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

ditto on the dewalt 18 volt they work great

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Been running snap-on 3/8 and 1/2 for years, love them. Just traded my 3/8 for a new one, got great trade-in on the old. If you use them occasionally buy anybodies, if you make a living with your tools, it's snappy all the way

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep,Snap on's good stuff. I was going to buy the Snap-on gun and right before I did I found a super deal on the Dewalt so I got it instead. No complaint's.

9. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Pep Boys has a cheapy for $80......I am gonna buy the Dewalt this summer.....

10. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

if you're gonna coin out for a snap-on, get the IR. It will last longer and has more torque than the snap-on. Don't get me wrong, I like snap-on... all my hand tools are snap-on, but my power tools are IR/MAC (the mac impact guns are made by IR

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yeah, I 've heard that before, and from using my buddies I think it's probably true.

Yes I use PB Blaster, and Fluid Film as an instinct and do have to get a little heat or the air gun sometimes. But I've got a great Snap-on guy, reliable, knowledgeable, service ordinated, good inventory and gives remarkable trade in value.
    I don't think snappys got the best off everything, but just like your snowplow, truck, equipment, or whatever dealer, it's the guy with the service and support. I need good support, the best tool's worth nothing if it's broken and I 'm waiting 2 weeks for the truck or have to spend 2 hours going to the tool guy. Around me the best dealer just happens to be a snap-on guy.

12. aus316

aus316 Member

i got the new snap on cordless(new design new batterys) i and a tech with it 24-7 and keep it in truck with me no complaints as of yet :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:

13. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

The new snap on is tough, but i have a Dewalt, and no probs with it. Buddy has the snap on, as he is a mechanic, and is is good too.

14. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

The more you will use it the more you need to spend.

15. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

First, Fluid Film, now this!! :dizzy: I am so behind the times. I've been carrying an invertor and plugging my corded DeWalt into it. I will be looking into of these ASAP. It's great to be able to change tires or blades in the field like your at the shop with a compressor. Thanks guys, this site is really paying off:redbounce

16. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

As a side note, unplug your chargers when not in use. Someone on another forum said he about burned his house down when a Snap-On charger had a melt down. I'm not sure what would cause that but suspect it could be anything like a power surge, accumulation of dust inside it, improper insertion of battery (if possible), or failure due to a hard impact like dropping it. Just thought it was worth mentioning. Maybe we should be cleaning our chargers out with compressed air, just as you do the guns. You all do that, don't you?

I just got a Makita that came free with purchase of an 18V drill/driver. It is only 1/4 hex drive. This will get used on small engines, bikes, etc. Not sure what the largest work it will handle. If anyone knows I'd appreciat your input. Haven't had the occassion to use it much yet but it had great reviews by sheet metal workers and motorcyclists that built their own ice racing tires.

17. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I have an older snap on 1/2 drive and its one of the most well used tool in my shop. The I/R unit is heaver then the snap on and I belive its just a single speed unit. There are times when I want to feather the trigger and you cant do it with the ones that Ive seen so far...Rob

18. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

cool im goona check out that impact gun

19. GA73

GA73 Member

been looking also at the snap on and ir 1/2 what kinda of prices have you guys been paying.
    the guy here wants $499 for the snap on and was able to chew him down to $400 cas on a ir

20. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

To bad they dont make an small air rachet for tight places