1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cord wearing paint???

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by GMCHD plower, Mar 21, 2013.

1. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys, I have a magnetic mount bar for my roof and run the cord through the door jam on my truck, well I recently noticed the cord has been rubbing the paint on my roof causeing it to wear, anyone know anything I could wrap the cord with the stop this? Thanks!

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You could try masking off the paint where the cord rubs. Why not hard wire it?

3. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I think keep the cord from moving. Have it as tight as possible on roof and run it in or under door gasket. Or maybe use one of the plastic things with the double sided tape that u zip tie a wire to on b post

4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Wrapping the cord in something really won't solve your problem because it's the movement of the cord that's causing the chafing. What you need is something on your paint that the cord can safely chafe against. There are any number of adhesive tapes out there that will do that for you - but they'll look like hell in a few months or years.

I'd vote for the hard wire theory. Here's what we do to all of ours:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  5. DHDB

DHDB Member

See if your local sign shop has magnetic scrap pieces. I use a piece of flexible magnetic sign backing. A little big bigger than a bumper sticker. If holds the cord flat and keeps if from moving/ scratching the roof.