1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cop Spot Lights?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Wesley's Lawn, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

I was wondering if any of you guys use spot light like on cop cars on your trucks, I saw an old bronco with a western on it with one on the door and i saw that pelican has one on his new truck. Would they be of any use or be good. Heres a link to a site about what im talking about http://www.galls.com/shop/viewproduct.jsp?catcode=123
  2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I had one on a plow truck a long time ago, they can be useful at times.

3. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I don't, but I know it's nice sometimes to have as much light as you can find. You might want to check before you install more than one though.

My Dad was the Borough Manager for a town. Each year they'd get a new police car and "retire" the oldest one. They'd remove the police department markings and that became his car. At the time they hadn't yet started to issue "municipal" license plates. He got pulled over on the highway by a state trooper one day because he was driving a civilain looking car equipped with two of those lights--one on the driver's and the other on the passenger side. Turns out that more than one was illegal. Trooper let him off, but told him to have one disconnected.

Perhaps one of our law enforcemnet members can comment further.
  4. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Nothing in Indiana about having spotlights on your vehicles, as long as you are not using then to spot light deer or what not. We have had problems in my area with people impersonating us, I have seen numerous reports on the news. There is something on the books about people buying old squads, that have not been repainted. I believe that it comes down to either the dealer or buyer, not too sure, will look it up when I get back to work.

5. BASIC

BASIC Member

Hi guys.Someone else manufactures a remote controled spotlight that you can mount anywhere on the vehicle.I may have seen in it in a Cabelas's catalog.Good luck,BASIC.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2003
  6. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I carry 2 rechargable 1.5 mil candle power hand held spots. Bought one at HomeDepot and the other at PepBoys. Cost around $15-$20 They have both proven very handy to have on the truck for quick repairs, salting, finding lost keys, and also spotting deer:D :D

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've had them on my vehicles for a number of years now, I use them quite a bit. They're handy to use when plowing, more light helps you spot variations in the snow to help find hidden obstacles before you hit them (they don't help with fast growing trees though).

I also plow and sand streets on one account, I split a route with another driver. I can stop at an intersection, shine the light down the side street and determine if it has been salted without having to pull into that street. This avoids dangerous backing if that street has already been treated.

I've also used them to make field repairs. You can often park the truck so the light reflect off a snow bank to light the side opposite the mounted side. I wouldn't be without them.

They run about $125, and can be installed in a few hours time. The only special tool you need is a longer than usual 1/2" drill bit.
  8. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

The lights that you guys are talking about are made by Unity MFG. They are a nice light. I had installed many of them at my old job. Most of the newer one mount on the door A pillar which means that it swings with the door. For the cron vic police model there are 2 mounting kits one like the mount mentioned above and the othere you have to cut a 2"x1" piece of steel from the door a pillar and the light mounts in the cars a pillar. The lights do have some issues such as gears stripping, the light head becomming siezed, the switch and handle becomming siezed and inopperable. They require an 1' long 1/2 drill bit for making the mounting hole. They are a good light but do require quite a bit of maintance
  9. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

There is a much better one then that style ( we have a Dodge W350 with one of those lights but A/W Direct has a magnet or permenant style light like the power companies use that goes on your roof and has a remote controller to go 360 degrees with 1 to 2 million candle power. Seen them in action and puts my old search light too shame. www.awdirect.com
  10. Temco

Temco Member

In Mass. you can have a spotlight but it can't shine a certain number of feet high or a certain distance long. Not sure on the distances but I think its something like 4 ft. high for a distance of 20ft. however i'll look the law up if any Mass. members would like the exact distances.
  11. Temco

Temco Member

In regards to my above post, M.G.L. ch.90 s.16 states in part that you can only have a spotlight that shines no more than 2ft. above the ground for a distance of 30ft. or more. Exceptions are to read signs or if your headlights fail to work. This is only in Mass.