1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cop hit with snowplow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 1olddogtwo, Apr 6, 2013.

1. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The driver went into the coffee shop to get a coffee and a metally unstable man got in and took off. It's a very large company that the truck belonged to and it's very well run. The driver tried to stop the guy that stole it but couldn't. I feel very bad for the Police Officer and family. I'm not exactly sure why he thought it was a good idea to stand in front of a moving plow truck but it doesn't really matter now. Sad story.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Even the coverage on global about the trial had actual footage of the chase. I thought it was very unprofessional for them not to blurr the company name on the truck. I have sites where I handshovel and leave the truck running...everytime I do it now I think of this incident.

4. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Right after this happened, I felt like cops were watching us every time we hoped out. I also felt it wasn't fair not to blur out the company name.

5. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly why my trucks get shut off whenever I or my drivers are out of them. Shut off, windows up at least under the visors, and locked.

6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

From a safety standpoint I see what you are saying. However by shutting the truck off you aren't letting the cooling system operate properly to cool the transmission, let alone what is the truck doesn't start again, windows freeze up, etc. I instruct my staff to leave trucks running including & especially our cube van for sidewalks, it needs to stay as warm as possible to keep equipment from freezing between jobs, whether they listen or not I don't know, ideally they would also open the slider to the rear to let heat back there as well.

7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Usually its never for more than a minute or 2, to pump gas or go in to DD and grab donuts or bagels. If they sit for more than 5 minutes in the middle of the storm, we leave them running. No one likes a cold plow truck

8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

My key fob is on a quick disconnect, lets you lock it up with the key in the ignition and running

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

As some of you know, I travel the US doing some ugly work. I've worked in some worst and best areas for crime and so forth. My truck is my rolling office and I never shut it off. I like my heat/ac running plus charged eqm. I keep a spare remote in my cup holder with a turbo timer set a one hour. The truck locks automatically 15 seconds after the doors close.

I'm in such habit of hitting the timer and pulling the keys, I end up doing it a home.

There has been a couple of times when I noticed some unsavory characters eye balling my truck. A quick hit of the panic button sets off my train horns usually takes care any problems.

JD, thanks for the background info.

10. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Same here. If I have to get out, I set E-brake, remove key, and truck stays running for 5 minutes long enough to cool down etc.

If its longer, I'll get out, and restart, which has a 20 minute cycle.

11. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Wow I never heard about that, so this was in Ont?

12. Len90

Len90 Senior Member

Happened in Toronto. The trial wrapped up last week with the man found not criminally responsible.

13. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

I hope that means Kachkar will be spending a long time confined to a mental hospital. :mad:

14. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

Wow thats a sad story.

I never turn my truck off as well, from the time I leave the house until the time I get home when plowing. But any time I leave the vehicle the keys come with me and the truck stays running via the remote start. Even if I do not lock the door the second some touches the break pedal or the gear shifter the engine automatically shuts off.