1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cooper tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WOODY367, Jan 10, 2012.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have a 99 GMC Yukon that needs new tires right now I have the Goodyear Wrangler AT/s. I was told to try the Cooper discoverer AT3. What do you guys think of them? Are they louder noise the the wranglers? how do they perform? I ws going to go with more of a street tire as I do mostly highway/town driving. But do go upstate skiing so want them good in the snow. Any suggestions?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Take a look at the General Grabber HTS. They offer a few sizes with LRR ratings too.

3. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I thought about getting these but the AT3 is too aggressive. I run the ST's and there great! Make sure you get the 10ply. Another good one is the new STmaxx.

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I just saw the AT3's on a truck yesterday, they don't really look aggressive. I was planning on trying out the ST MAXX, till I saw the price, no thanks. Ill stick with the Duratracs

5. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

I don't like Cooper tires, the last 2 sets I had, I didn't any kind of miles out of them...I had some Hankook that were pretty good, and I currently have Toyo Open Country's that I have 40,000 miles on them...granted these are 6 ply on a 1/2 ton...

6. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

There is no perfect tire for plowing and summer wear ! To do it right you need two sets of wheels and tires . In 35 years I've tried several different tire brands and styles . The best plowing tire I've found so far is the Cooper M&S with studs , they will flat ass push snow ! If you plow much pavement you might forgoe the studs, or they might not be legal in your state . Even without studs , they are an awsome snow tire . I get stuck about once every other year with them . The plow guys that I pull out of the snowbank always seem to have those big lug tires on their trucks . It's the siping that provides traction in snow . All terrain tires and all season tires have one thing in common , they aren't worth squat in snow , compared to a true snow tire !

7. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

i have a set of AT3s on my 11 2500hd. I really like them. Low hiway noise and do well in mud. They also have a 55000 warranty.

8. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

These tires are not being used for plowing. They are on my daikt driver. Just looking for a good all around tire that will be ok in snow when it does around here or I go upstate sking.

9. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i have them on my 3/4 ton dodge. love them so far. seem to be wearing very good. not noisy and good traction on and off road.

10. PCDog

PCDog Junior Member
    from NY

I have the AT3 on my '08' 1/2 ton Chevy and I couldn't be happier ! They are not noisy at all and provide great traction. I've been through deep snow and mud with no complaints

11. lawns4life

lawns4life Member
    from mi

Just got a set installed on my F150. Don't have many miles on them but they seem good so far. And for $625 out the door, they were some of the cheapest 31x10.5 tires i could find

12. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thanks guys for the info. I think I might give them a try. Seems to be getting good reviews on the web.