1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cooper tires

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by zman300, Sep 24, 2010.

1. zman300

zman300 Member

Looking at the Cooper Discoverer ATR.
    Anyone have these, how do you like them.
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

i have them on my 2500hd they have great traction on snow ,wet pavement ,not much noise going down the road .:salute:

3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Have sold alot at work they dont wear that well we stopped recomending them. If u want a winter only tire the cooper ms are great but wear quick. But a great snow only tire. We have been selling a ton of hankook dynapro rf10 good all around tire.
  4. SD Cookman

SD Cookman Junior Member

I will never buy coopers again
    14 months 24k miles and they are gone. I rotate every 6k miles. they are perfectly worn, not out of round, not chopped, just plain old worn out
    As someone else said, you get what you pay for.....I think i paid $750-$800 or so
    285-75-16 Load D
    2004 Silverado 2500HD Crew 4x4

5. zman300

zman300 Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I've heard they have good traction in snow. :nod:
    My Brother-inlaw loves them on his F250, but he doesn't plow. That's why I ask here.
    But only 24k miles, that's not good.
    The guy at the store said I should get 40k good miles out of them. hmmm
    What to do.:confused:
  6. SD Cookman

SD Cookman Junior Member

If the salesman says so....put it in writing to 40k....:mechanic:
  7. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

The ATR's wear way too quickly. If you really like cooper tires, you'll get a lot more wear out of a Cooper ST. Cooper tires ride nice and good traction, but it seems cooper tires have always accomplished that with softer tread and tire compounds. And before anybody bashes me for my OPINION, I was in the retail tire sale business and ran an auto shop for a reasonable number of years. Just sharing what i've seen, dont want to start a war lol.
  8. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

I just put a set of Kumho on my mountainer... They excllent in the snow and have good deep agressive tread... Not bad on the hghway either...

9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Cooper atrs have worn fast in my experience. I Put on a set of Cooper STs last November and 20,000 miles later they are still probably 2/3 tread theve been great tires in the snow, mud and on the highway.
  10. zman300

zman300 Member

ST's, I like the tread pattern.
    Will take a look at them.
    Thanks guys
  11. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I run the Cooper M+S E-range Great traction. They do wear fast. I just replace them. I keep going back to the same guy so he gives me a good deal. I replace them every two years, getting about 25-30,000 on them. They still have some tread left, ok for driving but I would not plow on them. To me, replacing tires is just a part of plowing. I would rather spend the money on tires in the fall then pay for a wrecker to winch me out in the middle of a storm. I have seen some scary tires on plow trucks. It just not an area where I will skimp at all.
  12. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i cant get more then 20k out of any of my summer tires(had a few diff brands..ect)...but thats just how i drive. i'm a cooper fanboy an thats all i buy. love there traction. i run M&S studded for winter and and my last summer tires were Cooper Zeon LTZ..i was very happy with them.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  13. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

14. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

i run ATR's on the duramax and i love them for plowing. the dealers here tell you they are a 40k mile tire but NOT in the load range E. i rotate them every 5k miles. will buy them again.