1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cooper st maxx opinions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by plowking89, Nov 16, 2014.

1. plowking89

plowking89 Junior Member

lookin at cooper st maxx tires for my plow truck...... any advice is appreciated!!!

2. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

The picture of the st maxx I looked at showed very little siping . I would not run them on my plow truck , I use Cooper Discoverer M & S . Thumbs Up

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Tirebuyer.com did have Firestone Winterforce LT tires with free shipping. My size, 245/70/17 is $148 per tire with free shipping.

I would not use those coopers. The winterforce is a dedicated snow tire. Sipes and very aggressive tread. They will wear quicker than an AT, but no AT can handle ice and snow like a true snow tire.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  4. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

never tried them. the tire store here sells the AT3's. very good tire in the snow, but also quiet on the street.

5. montec

montec Junior Member
    from ND

Firestones are good, best is Nokians if you can find someone in your area that sells them. Made for the icy cobblestone streets in Finland. ST's are Mud tires. They will dig in snow but ice you will not have fun with. I've got Procomps on my winter vehicle after 2 winters they are pointless but great in the mud.

6. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

plowking89,welcome to PlowSite.I have the Cooper ST Maxx tires on my truck for the past three years,they work fine,prior I used the Cooper ST they worked well also.Being in NJ we don't get as much snow as many of you,about 50"-60" last year.I did in the past have the Cooper Discoverer M&S as a dedicated snow tire and while they were a very good tire,I found they wore quickly,about two seasons.For my use,I'd buy the ST Maxx again,I'd also look at the Goodyear Dura-Tracs.If I lived in MI or another area that gets lots of snow,I would really consider a dedicated snow tire.Good luck.

7. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

I run the AT3 tires in the summer here . Thumbs Up

8. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

I just had 4 Cooper ST Maxx installed on my plow truck today. Unfortunately, they arrived just after I finished plowing. They may not be as good on ice as a dedicated snow and ice tire, but with the aggressive tread, I think they'll do just fine in deep snow and on slushy roads.

9. plowking89

plowking89 Junior Member

ewsplow have you got to run them tires in the snow yet?

10. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

Not yet. Tried them out on 1" of snow over ice, but haven't plowed with them yet.

11. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I've got AT3's for summer rubber. Absolute rubbish in the snow. I run Firestone Winterforce LT's in the winter, and it's a huge leap in traction. I won't run without dedicated snows ever again. And as mentioned above, if you can get nokians, do it.

12. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

they are an awesome tire. they're soft but not too soft that they'll wear out super fast. I've got about 6-7k on mine and they show hardly any wear. my cousin and and uncle own a garage and he said some of his buddies liked them, so i tried them. i'd definitely buy another set. and if they weren't so expensive I wouldn't hesitate to put 6 on my dump truck

13. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

I finally got to try them out on snow and ice. Worked great in 2-1/2" of snow. They also seem good on ice.

14. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I have them on the back of a 06 F350 DRW duallie, 265s not the stock 245s... they're a mean tire, not great for highway trailering or anything highway really, but in snow they're really good, not as good as a dedicated snow ONLY tire though like we use on some of our F150s, plus this truck usually is loaded with lots of salt bags and a 2 yard salt spreader so its pretty heavy.

15. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

i have 265s as well.
    I agree about not good on Highway. They seem a little squirrely on dry pavement.
    The truck i have them on rarely gets used in summer, but I didn't want dedicated snow tires and for all season tires, they seemed to be best for what I needed.