1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cooper Discoverer m+s or Firestone winterforce LT

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jguck25, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I finally made up my mind to make the switch over to a dedicated snow tire for the upcoming winter. I have a size that is kind of hard to find a lot of options in and so far I have come up with either the cooper m+s or the winterforce. Both are about equally priced and I really cannot make up my mind.

My truck is used only for plowing since I have a different daily driver. It only gets used other than that for the occasional trip towing my 20' enclosed trailer with three sleds in it about 3.5-4 hours up north for a weekend of snowmobiling and then also towing about 13k when doing snow relocation. So I do need a tire that will stand up to that and I am thinking the tread pattern of the cooper may hold up better for that, but that is pure speculation, I have nothing to back that up with.

The size is 275/70r18. I was thinking I would go with the mastercraft tire because it is just like the cooper but cheaper, but they dont make it in this size :(

What do you guys think?

2. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I have always ran the cooper m+s it's a real good tire doesn't real well in snow and light ice. I've had them on my gm plow truck and when I had my dodge with a salter in the back holding 2.5 yards each fil up. I'd like to get some for my ford but I need some 18" rims as my summers are 20". The coopers have these lil sipes in them that help its grip.

There was another thread with pictures of the coopers in them on a friends truck.

Here ya go. Pg 1 a few posts down.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=9648

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  3. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

I too have always ran cooper m&s tires as dedicated snow tires on my plow trucks , get 5-6 winters on them and the last year of their life run them all summer. Looked at other brands but have bought coopers.

4. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I can't speak for the Firestones, but I can guarantee you will not be sorry if you go with the Coopers.

5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I too am in the same boat with needing snow tires. After a search I've found that a lot of guys on here like the coopers or the firestones. I watched my brother wear out a set of firestones in about 2 1/2 seasons. He plows with a 9 1/2 XV and haules a polycaster so I'd say he did ok considering all the plowing and salting he does. Personally I think I'm going to give the coopers a shot and see how they go. I hope I'm not disappointed.

6. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Thank you, I actually saw that thread a couple years ago and posted in it but that was before I was considering dedicated snows. Now i just dont know if I should get studs or not for the black ice around here.

Wow 5-6 winters is quite a bit, how many storms a year and how many miles is that typically?

That is almost exactly the same setup that I am looking at, a 9.5 extreme v with a polycaster. Any idea what he thought about the tire? I am also leaning towards the coopers since that is what it seems like a LOT of people here on plowsite use with great results, while I havent heard as much about the firestones.

7. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

I'm in the same boat, currently looking for a decently priced set of dedicated snows. Really would like the Cooper Discoverer M&S, but i've found the Mastercraft tires are a little cheaper. The firestones are cheaper yet, but i dont see a load rating on them? I currently have the Firestone Winterforce on my Buick Century and drive them all year. Usually get 2 snow seasons and 2 summer seasons when purchased in the fall.

Let us know if you find any good deals!

8. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The MasterCraft Courser MSR is available in your size. They rock in the snow and should be a good price

10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Jguck, my brother and I were actually having a conversation about that earlier. We were trying to decide whether to go with the firestones or the coopers. He loves the firestones but was a little disappointed with only getting two seasons out of them before they gave up.

2COR, aren't the mastercraft courser and the cooper discoverer the same tire?

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The Cooper M&S and Mastercraft MSR are quite different tread patterns. Many folks say the Mastercraft are made by Cooper without the name brand. I think you'll find the MSR are less expensive than the Coopers. I can't speak to the worth of the extra money, never ran them side by side.

As I said, I had great success with MSRs

12. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

i would like the msr's but i cant find the size i need in them.

What are you guys paying for the coopers? i had made up my mind on those buuut...
    i just called for a price on the cooper m+s tires in 275/70r18 and was quoted 352.75 per TIRE! holy crap. that is uninstalled and just the tire. total price of 385 per tire. i also got a price for firestone and it was 220 per tire for mounting also... different places.the guy at the cooper place told me not to go with a winter tire at all, he told me to get the cooper at3's. which even those he said were 245 per tire...

13. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

he said the prices are skyrocketing this spring and thats as cheap as he can get through cooper themselves

14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

I run coopers on most of my vehicles and have no problems...get decent wear,..most tire problems are caused by mechanical items ie alignment

15. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

thats what i would like but at almost 400 dollars a peice i cannot even begin to consider them

16. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Can you get some 16" or 17" rims for winter?

18. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Cooper AT3's are $319 here and thats for 275/65/20 so those guys are raping you. Then again you are in New Hampshire and other then Downeaster salters and Trailers in Maine not much is made near you im sure so that adds to the cost. Diesel aint cheap these days.

19. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

Big choices ha ha! heres another one.

Any body try the General altimax snow tire? ran them for 3 seasons. Not to bad for dedicated plow tires. Still slide on ice. Are coopers snow tires better? And what about studs? I use chains now. "OH YA LET IT SNOW"

20. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

You are right, i called the town fair tire near me and he said they indeed are able to get that size. Although even those are 275 per tire.

Thank you, I did find those and that is a great price

I could find some 17" rims but not 16, starting in 2005 the f250 and 350 cannot use 16" rims because of caliper clearance issues. I know first hand because my neighbor bought four 16" rims and tires for his 2005 f250 and they wouldnt fit, and of course instead of selling them he tried to shave down all the calipers and the inside of the RIMS :dizzy: he got them to barely work but they vibrated and shook like crazy to the point it was ruining stuff and drove him insane. He ended up having to junk the rims.

I havebeen looking for some 17" rims but thats going to run me another 4-5 hundred. They are rare to find on superduties.

If you want great ice traction no snow tire without studs is going to be awesome. I do not know about those tires on full sized trucks but my girlfriend had them on her car and they seemed to be great lol