1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cooling problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DutchChevy, Jan 24, 2003.

1. DutchChevy

DutchChevy Junior Member

Hi!

I'm having a problem with my cooling system.
    My car is a 6.2l diesel K30.

After about 30 minutes of driving the engine starts pumping the coolingwater out into the expansionbarrel. It continues to do so until the dashboardlight lights up: LOW COOLANT!!
    This has happend three times now.

First I was afraid the cylinderhead bearing had blown but a
    compression test showed it was ok. Waterpump and thermostat seem ok aswell.

The garage I took it to doesn't have an idea what it might be, everything seems in order.
    They recognise the problem but don't have an answer.

:confused:

Could the problem be linked to the cold weather we're having over here?? I tried covering the radiator for a while but that didn't make a difference.

Maybe any of you guys know something?
    Thanks

:waving:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Simple things first,have they checked the rad cap ?

If it's not the cap,it's either one of two things,either it's overheating and boiling the coolant out,or overpressurizing and pushing the coolant out.Does it run hot when it does it ?

If it's overheating,then check the water pump,belts,t-stat,plugged rad etc

If it's overpressurizing,then I would look at a bad head gasket,cracked head,block,etc

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

You mention that the T stat seems ok, but have you tested it? For what they cost, and ease of replacement, I would start there.
    Dino

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

THEY DID HAVE HEAD GASKET PROBLEMS WITH THE 6.5

WHATS THE TEMP GUAGE READING

COULD HAVE A BAD THERMOSTAT

LOOSE BELT

5. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I've got a 6.5 diesel, and it was doing the exact thing you described. I'd fill it up and it would come out the overflow. When I turned the truck off you could hear it "gurgling" into the overflow, even when the temp was normal. Engine temp fluctuated while driving a lot too. It ended up being blown head gaskets. Had the heads tested for cracks and shaved down, new gaskets, and it seems to be cured.

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Huh???:confused:
    I'd put my money on a blown head gasket.