1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cooling Issues

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mayhem, Nov 21, 2006.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Just broght m plow home a couple weeks ago and noticed that the temperature (tranny especialyl) shoots right up really quickly. This is just driving along, not working the truck at all. My tranny temp gauge hardly ever budges off the minimum mark with normal driving, but with the plow on there and driving along at 30-50 mpg it shot right up to the midway mark, I also noticed that the outdoor readout on my mirror shot up from 40-83 degrees by the time I got home. Obviously this was because there was an 8' hunk of curved steel in front of my radiator and it wasn't getting any real moving air across the fins of the radiator. This isn't a big deal for me since my plow will be for my driveway almost exlusively (excluding the rare occasions when a friend or relative needs a hand or if I have to take the truck to work in the middle of a storm and it's jsut alot easier if its alread on the truck when I get home to plow instead of hassling with digging it out before I can hook it up.

How do you guys deal with the lack of good heat dissipation while doing your routes? Does it make a significant difference to angle the plow to one side or another to let air in from the side? Do you let it ride as low as possible to let air oer the top? Do you jsut move to electric fans that run all the time? Or do you just deal with it and try to let it cool down gradually when you're done?
  2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Drive with your plow as low as possible. When it's raised fully it blocks air flow to the radiator.
  3. mayhem

from Peru MA

This is proabbly the type of situation where its really a good idea to raise your front end suspension a few inches for the winter, huh? Timbrens or cranked torsion bars or whatever.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Replace your fan clutch and it should fix the problem.

There is a bunch of threads throughout plowsite.com dealing with the GMC/Chevy cooling issue with the plow on and over heating. I believe someone even dug up a GM service sheet # to look up somewhere along the line.
  5. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

As for the temp gauge in the mirror, the sensor is behind the grill area with no flow the engine heat gets to the sensor and that causes the higher temp. :nod:
  6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Is your truck overheating or did you just notice your gauges read higher than normal ?

A typical tranny temp is round 200-215 with the plow on or even pulling a trailer.
    Water temp usually 200-210.
    It has been 0 out and my mirror has read 75, because of where the sensor is located.

If your over heating the problem can be fixed pretty simple, by changing to the correct fan clutch. Lowering your plow is not a fix, just a band aid. With a V plow lowering it is NOT an option.
    I have owned 5 gas GM trucks 2001-2006's, before making the change over to diesels and all them overheated, until I had the fan clutch changed.
  7. mayhem

from Peru MA

Definitely not overheating, just reading higher than normal. Even when I've got 2800lb of gravel in the bed and I'm driving up a long hill the tranny temp gauge never gets to the midpoint. I wasn't concerned that I was in danger of overheating, just wondering if I had a problem or if you guys treat it as normal.

I have noticed a more or less constant fan noise which I've been assuming was a clutch fan on its way out...I'll see if I cna find the info on the replacement part.

Thanks guys.