1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cooling issues

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by vintage steel, Dec 3, 2011.

1. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I recently built a 75 Jimmy 3/4 ton with an old 8 1/2' Meyer
    We haven't seen any snow and there is none in the extended forecast. I haven't really had a chance to plow much but, I have had a chance to drive my truck around a bit and work out the bugs.
    Not surprisingly, with the 2" body lift and no fan shroud, my temp gauge shows me getting uncomfortably warm while driving down the highway. I was thinking of installing a 15", 8 blade electric fan. Has anybody done this, did it help?
    Thanks,
    Russ
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  2. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

I've seen it done and yes it keeps it nice and cool because it's pulling the air directly through the radiator, with out a fan shroud your not pulling enough of the air through the radiator.

3. crete5245

crete5245 Member

Have 2 electric fan on my 1977 chevy with a big block and still not cooling when travling from place to place.... going back to a 6 blade fan, clutch and shroud.....

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

moonlighter, make sure the fan is within a couple of inches of the rad...put a schroud on as mentioned above....

crete make sure you get a heavy duty clutch for the fan

5. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

What are your (cfm) on the fans? I put one one that was not big enough and it worked like crap. A went out to napa and told them what I was doing the fan now is great 2 speeds its like 90 % and 60% or hi and low. And get a shroud it will pull something like
    33% more air through the radiator I just cant rember off the top of my head.hope I helped out .

I will soon love my Z