1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cooling fan Shroud trick

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Willie, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Willie

Willie Member

I'm sure you guys have heard of this? I have a little trick I have used for the cooling fan shroud on my older model Chevy trucks that I wanted to share with you guys. On the older model Chevy trucks the shrouds (I'm not sure about the new trucks) The shrouds are two pieces held together buy some plastic rivets. Well what I have done is drill out those rivets and replace them with black zip ties. I usually do this the first time I have to replace something on the front of the motor. The reason being is so I don't have to remove the whole fan shroud (and unbolt the fan) everytime I need to work on something on the front of the motor. Since I have never owned a newer model I don't know if the newer trucks have two piece shrouds or not? Just a little something I thought I'd share. I hope it helps someone out.
  2. vett

vett Junior Member
    from Buffalo

Later model chevy trucks are 2 piece with 8 mm bolts and j clips. I did that with my 79 gmc, it had staples connecting the upper and lower, see ya!!
  3. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

Rather than the tie wraps, I usually use clip nuts on the lower part of the shroud and bolt them together. I agree, it makes it much easier the next time you have to service anything on the front of the engine. You can get the clip nuts from most auto parts stores.