1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Coolant problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dieselman19, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

i have a second truck running this winter, it is a 97 F-350 with a 351 V8, i am having a problem with keeping it cool, i dont know if it is a bad gauge or it is truelly running hot. I changed the thermostat and it is still running a little past half way on the gauge, is this normal? I normally run a diesel and the temp gauge barly moves. Any suggestions?

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The 351's a great engine and has been around along time!
    My 89 351 runs in the 3/4 of normal range. Did you ask at the parts counter (thermostat) or just grab it off the display? They take a special one that is not like the ones on the displays. The plow should be low and angled to the right when you drive on highways to keep it cooling. If it goes over the normal range run the heater on high blower and change the plow position and it will come down. Gas engines are more forgiving on overheating then Diesels.
    How many miles on the truck?
  3. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

My 97 runs just below half with the same engine. When is the last time you had the radiator back flushed?