1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Coolant in oil??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by corey006, Feb 18, 2003.

1. corey006

corey006 Junior Member
    from al,can

I had an oil change done recently(in garage). When I fueled up yesterday I decided to check the oil and found that it was about 3/4 of an inch over the fill line. This meant there was about 1/2 to 3/4 of a liter too much. I took truck home and drained some oil out only to find that some of the oil had some creamy light brown swirls in it as it came out. The only conclusion I can come to is water/coolant in the oil.

I have done several oil changes on this truck myself and have NEVER had any creamy deposits to date??

How much oil overfill does it take before engine damage could result??

Would this be a head gasket problem or what??

I plan on doing an oil change today(myself) and getting a oil sample sent in too see what is in it and take it from there....

The truck is 2001 Sierra 5.3 with 24,000 kms or 13,000 miles on it. I am using Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil(5w30).

2. Dan S.

Dan S. Member

I have had the garage overfill the oil on my vehicle plenty of times, I would say if you lost 1/2-3/4 liter of coolant in your oil it would show more than swirls of color, most likely all your oil would be brown or discolored. Pressure test your cooling system to check for internal leaks like a bad head gasket. I would run it some more before doing anything, just keep an eye on it. If you take it in again for an oil change check it as soon as you leave the garage and you will know for sure.
    PS Where is al,can?
    Good Luck!

:)

3. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

I'm guessing Alberta, Canada. It could be a head gasket, or intake manifold gasket. You should still be under waranty, right? If so and they fix it, I would check the pressure again after you get it back, just to be on the safe side.