1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cool snowplow Cummins tip

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by nymustang50, Dec 20, 2011.

1. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I suppose the new 6.7 trucks have electric fans huh?
  3. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Elect activated clutch on a belt drive. Have had since at least 03.
  4. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

5. ajcoop20

ajcoop20 Senior Member

I wonder if they can program that into the older 5.9's that would be bad ass!
  6. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Nope. Different injections systems and the 5.9ISB lacks the electric engagement fan clutch needed.
  7. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

The radiators are HUGE so there's really no need for a fan in the snow. I used to remove the whole fan assembly in my 94 during winter months. Even with duct tape over the grill (poor man's cold weather front) it never got hot-- Even plowing.
  8. ajcoop20

ajcoop20 Senior Member

um thats not correct my 05 has the electronic fan clutch, i know because i just put one in. I suppose i wasnt specific enough, should have said common rail 5.9s both the 6.7s and the 5.9's are common rail injected, not sure what differnce the injection would make on controlling the fan.
  9. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

I think he meant the pre-03 trucks when he said older 5.9's. I know my 03 has a fan clutch. Just put on the A/C or defrost at a long light and you'll hear the fan when it turns green and you take off. It kicks on to keep sufficient airflow thru the A/C condenser.
  10. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Bighammer nailed it. 02 and back. My 00' Vp44 Cummins just has the old fashion thermo-clutch.
  11. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

They are also so efficient you can barely get them to warm up in winter.
    Going through that activation sequence sounds like a PITA....