1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cooked speedwing 860 motor in 2 months

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Lasher66, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Just bought my 860 SW 2 months ago and on my first plow job last night the motor just started smoking. After a night of hell getting other guys to plow my lots, I went to the dealer and they took the motor apart and the bearings were shot. I hope this isnt a prob with blizzard motors. I buy new equipment so I can stay dependable and this crap happens. They are replacing it tomorrow so hopefully I dont have to deal with this again. Think I am going to look for a backup motor though. Just had to vent.

Jason

2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Ok from another thread somewhere else I'll tell you what to look for if you cooked a motor.

Alternator is probably too small 165 amp is recommended for plowing use as you truck suck up about 90-98 amps just to run with lights and heater going before you add a rotator light if your not running a strobe.

Battery stock is too small usually only a 750 CCA. Upgrade to a heavy duty 1000CA 850 CCA battery. Feed lead from alternator to battery is under sized.

IF the plow is not GROUNDED to the battery you will have problems.

Plow wiring on the plow GROUNDED to the block between motor and Reservoir.

Check these first. This info is Coming from lots of installs and fixing truck charging issues on all trucks and plow brands. J

3. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Jason, did you ever add a second battery?

4. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

No. I did not add a second battery. Are these issues that would cause the bearing to get destroyed. My lights do dim quite a bit when I use the plow. I just bought a new battery, but cant remember what CCA is was. I know it was more expensive than all the other ones. I have the plow package on my truck, so that should be a bigger alternator they said. Oh, and I know I worded my original posts wierd, but the plow has been used many times in last two months, it was just the first plow job of the night when it broke.

Jason

5. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

In the years I have owned Blizzards I have only toasted two motors.

BOTH were a result of either failing Alt. or batteries. I run all dual Battery charging systems. In the dual Alt's, dual Battery Trucks I have seen no issues. Replaced the both batteries on the one truck and upgrades the single alt on the other truck and have not toasted a motor since.

Ron G.

6. TopKick

TopKick Junior Member

We purchased 2 8611 full size plows this year and have been plagued since the get-go with issues. So far, on one plow alone, we've had to replace three motors - two burned out, one blown seal. Our truck side wiring harness was causing our fuse problems. Oh, we almost caught the plow controller on fire as well. All said, we've had about 200cm (6' feet) of snow this season and we've managed one full 6" event with both working throughout.
    We now have bad welds on both 'A' frames supposedly busted because we hit something?? - and it's causing uneven cutting edge wear only on one plow??? Across the 8' center, we're 1" depth difference. Paint is another story.

All that said, when these puppies are on the ground plowing, there's probably nothing better out there. Keeping on the ground, and lifting for transport to another site, well........

7500 GMC Topkick - 8611
    6500 Topkick - 8611
    3 x GMC Sierra 2500HD - Fisher 8'6" V Minute Mount
    JD 544 with Protech Pushers
    JD 320 SS
    Ford F-350 - Myers V-blade

And A S**T Load of Snow!!