1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Convoy of ag tractors fully equipped for snow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Neige, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I was waiting at a stop sign and I saw this long line of flashing lights. I realized it was the snow equipment from a farmer in my town. All that equipment was going to our industrial park this morning to clear snow. Enjoy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9grB9WRwL4

2. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

holy poop batman! that must be one hell of a large industrial park lot, or they don't mess around with clearing it out quickly!

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Apparently he's a very smart farmer, judging by the his choice of tractor colours. There was quite a few 8000 series in there.

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

The owner must be color blind:D How much does an 8000 series cost ballpark? I get confused with all the model numbers looking on the Deere website. I guess I should go in and ask to figure out what I'd really want/need

5. A Man

A Man Senior Member

Seems farmers keep getting smarter and smarter, 20 years ago most of the farmers I knew were a one man operation getting by, now all the farmer's I know have full time staff and either a couple thousand acre's or a 400-600 milking cow's. He probably plows snow just for fun.

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

You should battle him Paul. Would be an epic tractor battle

7. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Awesome!!!

8. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I would lose that one hands down. Lucky for me all his equipment is to big to do resi drives. Any time I bid a commercial or industrial account he comes in at 50% less or more. This farmer gets way more income doing snow. He is plowing streets in the neighboring town. He also does miles of highway grass cutting during the summer months. He owns only 30% of the equipment the rest are subs.

9. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

Wow, that is a serious amount of big tractors. Like was asked, how big of an industrial park is it?

10. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Judging by those tractors, about 2 zip codes.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

8000 series start around 200k. They most likely need the power for the farm so they use what they have for snow.
    I'm not sure that means they are smarter. I personally don't even know anyone milking more then 300 cows and to do that you need 10 million in quota alone.

12. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Cool Video. Looks like they are going after it.

13. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Their are a lot of large milking set ups by me quite a few with 300-500 cows and a few with over 1000 cows they never stop milking the pump runs 23 hours a day with one hour for sanitizing or something like that. The biggest problem they have is getting rid of the manure with all the rules now days.

14. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Yes, thats true. The term "farmer" nowadays generally means a corporation and 100's if not 1000's of acres. The family farm is basically dead.

15. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

Not necessarily. My grandpa farmed 145 acres and had a few sheep and some beef cattle and made a very good living. He was very smart with his money. He left a good amount of money for my mom and her 3 sisters when he died, he was never just "getting by." My buddy's grandpa farmed 100 acres with a Farmall Super M. He also milked 30 cows, and he left his 3 daughter's and his grandkids a large amount of money.

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You guys don't have to buy qouta. For easy figuring it's almost 1 million dollars for the rights to milk 30 cows.

17. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Ive never heard of what you are talking about. If I pay $100 do I get the right to sleep with 30 women??

18. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

No, but your government just calls it something else, something we call subsidies....

19. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

That's one of the prettiest sites I've seen in a long time.

Reminds me back the year before last, a Custom Operator that does contract harvesting was up in our area to take out a 260 acre section of corn.

20 combines, 20 tractors with auger wagon, and about 20 semi's rolled into the field, got it done in 8 hours and left.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the owner of the snow fleet was a farmer but had a custom outfit of some sort. Even some of the biggest farmers don't have that many tractors of that particular size. These days it seems like they have more of the large 4wd rigs to pull massive implements.

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It might cost you more then 100 but yes. ;) There is only so much quota available and if you don't posses it you can't sell milk legally. The US sells milk according to world prices we have set prices. Chickens are the same way here.