1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Convince Me....

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SnowPro93, Feb 25, 2007.

1. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

I need you guys to convince me why dodges are good plow trucks? I'm looking into getting a new truck and I've always been a chevy guy, but if i can get a good deal I would buy a dodge or a ford. All I've ever heard is the bad about dodges and how the front ends are weak. I want to hear the good and all if any problems you guys have had with 2003-2006 Dodges. I'm looking to buy a 2500 or 3500. I'm not trying to start a brand war, i just want to hear from the doge guys. So come on all you dodge guys tell me whats so "good" about these trucks.
  2. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

well mine isnt in the years you are talking about but i have a 1999 1500 ext cab with 167,000 miles on my truck original trans. just had to replace ball joints and axle joints for the first time about 3 weeks ago. now gas milage is another story i use mine as a daily driver and i get about 12 miles to the gallon with 35 inch tall tires and 456 gears. i love my dodge i worked for fords for 12.5 years and would put it up against any 1999 ford f-150 any day and i belive i would out perform it in all aspects. i maybe wrong but thats just my opinion.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

We have had 3 dodge diesels and have worked them all hard. 99 01 and 02 2500's. Only things we have done are lukes link which is a fix for steering problem. Other then injectors on 1 and upgraded to stainless exause on another we love them. The 99 just past 300 000 kms. Haven't worked an 03 or higher but have a friend who has one and likes it. Alot quieter inside. I am talking about all diesels. I would say seriously think about a diesel. I am getting 800kms to a tank on the hiway with a small load in the box. Diesels hold their value so well also. You buy a diesel used and it will retain alot of its value.
  4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

800 per a tank is not much to brag about if we are talking the 35gal tank. Sure you are just not converting wrong? :) By my math that comes out to 16.5 per 100.

But the 300k on the 99 is no small feat. Congrats!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2007

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Never put more then 100litres in it cause I never let it get that low. I think they hold 115 Litres. Not sure what the conversion is to miles per gallon. Its a blast to drive, just hooked up a hypertech power programmer and new toyo tires on my 99. I don't really think the brand matters too much, just shop for a good solid truck. We picked all the same incase we banged anything up we could buy a scrapper for a spare tailgate part or door or anything like that. Come on SNOW
  6. db27

db27 Member

new dodge

look at the big 3 and compare.
    The straight front axle cant be beat for long term abuse.=ford or dodge
    The diesel is great for fuel econemy.
    All 3 seem about the same $$$$$
    I just bought a dodge 06 with the cummins because i am in love with the 6 cyl motor that dodge happens to have.
    The truck aint bad but it has its poor design issues like all 3 do(no rain gutters over the door,to much options and computers,thin sheet metal,wimpy bumpers,coil front springs,so much plastic)
    but the motor makes up for some of this and the fuel econemy is great.:)
  7. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

the reason i personally like dodges as plow trucks are #1 the solid front axle #2 the cummins is in my opinion the best diesel out there my next truck will be a cummins.
  8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Go test drive one and you'll see. :drinkup:
  9. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Can't beat the power of the cummins. Awesome for plowing. I've been 100% happy with my Dodges.My dealer also stands behind what they sell.

RODHALL Senior Member

“Convince you”

I don’t care what you buy

Take a look at the truck market, while all 3 sell trucks… Dodge trucks / suv make up a bigger percentage of the brand sales then anything else.
    Ford and GM can not say that.

Dodge has been stuffing the 5.9LCummins in trucks since 1988, it has seen a few changes 12 valve to 24 valve and then the fuel system. They just switched to the 6.5L CTD with the same design as the 5.9L just more power.

None of the other brands will admit to issues, but…. Navistar stop supplying Ford with powerstroke motors last Monday. Ford sued Navistar in January. It has been a while since I had to work on 6.3/6.5 GM motor but they were plaged with lift pump/injector pump issues.

Anyone says they buy by brand and never have any issues, is full of it…
    Everything has one problem or another, it is best to look at cost to fix them, and go toward something 1 you can fix yourself or 2 it is cheaper to have it fixed by someone else.
  11. mole

mole Senior Member

wow funny, I have only had fords and im switchung to a dodge, fords in my opinion drive like crap, way to stiff im tried of bouncing around over little bumps I have had the same problem in my front left tire or hub in my last two trucks two differnt years 99 and 02. dealers stink keep saying that it's from plowing but I don't see it that way, and if so then why sell them with plow pkg. can't wait to get mine 4/1 just finishing out whats left of this season in mine and giving it to them. will post a pic when i get it.
  12. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

correction too on my truck i only have 165,000 sorry for the miss information.
  13. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2001 Dodge Cummins 2500 that we run a 8'6" V plow on and pull heavy trailers all summer with! We have has NO problems in 93,000 miles of abuse except a few minor steering parts (traction bar etc...) the milage is great and the power of the diesel can't be beat!
  14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Anyone plow with a 12v cummins and a stick? Thats what im looking at for my next truck and i wasn't sure how plowing would be.
  15. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i think theyre great trucks i have 3 of them and they are work horses
  16. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

i have a 2001 1500 off road edition and have an 8ft fisher MM1 on it and no problems yet. replaced the trans under warranty becuase the guy that had it before must of beat the crap out of. love the 5.9L power no problems pushin snow. also i think dodges look more aggerssive with a higher stance and wider look to them compared to chevy and ford.
  17. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Mine is the 24 valve but plowing with a stick SUCKS. Your left foot gets so tired from clutching you wish it would go numb so it would quit hurting.
  18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats kinda what i was assuming. Im looking to get a 12v if i get a dodge (95-97 preferably, no 53's) and i wasnt sure how thier automatics were, but i know their 5spds are pretty durable. Im a chevy kid so its either a 6.5l (cant afford a dmax unless high milage) or a 5.9 cummins. I dont have a problem with ford, but id rather not own one.