1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

convince me

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by OhioDale, Jan 10, 2014.

1. OhioDale

OhioDale Junior Member
    from Ohio

I have a quote in front of me for an mvp3 & a Boss v. Im leaning towards the Western but I see more Boss plows in my area. Price difference less than $100 so ...

Why western? Chain lift a huge advantage over cylinder? Why?

Thanks .. im confusing myself the more I read

2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

You really need to convince yourself, or I have a bridge to sell ya'.

Really though, first consider parts availability in your area, and are they on call 24-7 during storms if need be. The second consideration is parts pricing. Replacement parts for some plows is downright outrageous (cutting edges, controllers, cartridges, etc.).

3. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Are you comparing "like" plows? If you are get which ever one has a dealer closest to you. I'm partial to Western cause I think they make a well built plow. The boss western debate is all over the site if you want more info

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have installed both and the only thing I don't like about Boss is the rubber compression pad that controls the blade center pin angle. Western Vs have the major configuration (4holes) and then the secondary adjusting bolts at the back of the a-frame right by the pivot bar. With western it's quick, simple and reliable. On Boss it's a trial and error thing to get the rubber wedge set right and a pain in the butt to do again and again until u get it right. If this is not done right the blade is not square to the ground and your cutting edges will wear round. Also, as the plow gets old and the rubber breaks down the angle slowly changes. On westerns the bolts r nutorious for coming loose but they r easy to snug up.
    The ram / chain thing I have mixed feeling on. The chains allow the plow to float but they also allow for bouncing and they sometimes unhook and mine just broke recently after 3 years. The ram can provide down pressure if u buy that feature but they make float action slow because fluid has to move in and out of the ram.
    I am preferential to western but it would b wise to price out a cutting edge kit for both. The last MVP+ 1/2" blade kit I bought was around $450 Cdn. And had to b ordered. Took 2 days and $50 shopping.
    Another consideration is the centre gap between cutting edges. Western used to have slotted holes on the two little blade sections in the center but now they have round holes so u can't adjust to get rid of the gap. Owners r really pissed over the line of snow that leaks out. The old MVP had a rubber piece in there but it was a pain to replace. I don't know what Boss uses but it would be a big deciding factor to me if they had a better solution for this than Western.

5. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

This^

And this^

Pretty much just pick one. They seem to be almost identical and are both very nice plows. I don't think you will be disappointed with either.

6. Emmanuel

Emmanuel Member

Not sure what boss your referencing to but, we own both Boss vxt's and a MVP3. I plow with a Vxt so I am partial to Boss' controller. When you hit an unexpected obstacle with the Vxt you're going to wish you had a mouth guard in. The Boss Dxt would be an equal comparison with the MVP 3. Both of them having dual trip edges. If your not looking at the boss Dxt then I would absolutely go with the MVP3.

7. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

Another thing to is western has dual acting cylinders and for back blading its a lot easier...boss has springs...you can lock the MVP like a straight blade and keep it there but both are very nice plows

8. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You can lock the MVP like a straight blade?
    Yes Boss has return springs but also smartlock cylinders.

9. OhioDale

OhioDale Junior Member
    from Ohio

Yes I am comparing the DXT to the MVP3 - I believe I have made up my mind on the Western but thanks for all the info - this is good stuff. I have a dealer 1 mile from my house and he sells both. I talked with him awhile yesterday and he said it's pretty much like Chevy vs Ford - Either you like one or the other - both plows are almost equals to the other. He has a boss and his brother co-owner prefers the Western. Thanks for all the information - I don't plan on buying another anytime soon so I wish to do it right the first time.

10. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

i like how the western is a mechanical hook up. I take the plow off alot so not to sure about the electric hook up on the boss

11. mishnick

Yes, good point. When the Boss fails it's a pain to get them hooked on to get them to service. With Western you can just drive onto a pile and high chain it or use a little floor jack to lift and high chain. I forgot about that headache.

12. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

I prefer chains over cylinders. If the plow fails, blows line or loses pressure (hopefully brand new you will have no issues) you can ram a pile to push blade up and then "short chain" it to get it back to the shop. Basically move the chains up so its tight with plow on pile, then when you back up it stays up. I have dragged a plow home before which is no fun and quite dangerous. With chains you never have to. On an all hydraulic system if something fails you will be dragging. Of course maybe there is a way around that? I am not sure. If there is I am not aware. I am Western all the way. I like the fleet flex system as well. Parts and availability would be the deciding factor for me. Also if its only $100 difference then you should tell them to match the price! Unless its the same place and they sell both lol. Good Luck!

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

People say to use a ratchet strap on the cylinder plow. I prefer chains

14. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

HAHA holy sh#t. That makes so much sense I feel stupid now lol! Oh well Im in the chain gang now lol!

15. mishnick

Short chain or high chain, both are a great advantage (interesting that the terminology is different with geography) and the fleet flex thing gives you the ability to hook on to ANY late model Western plow because they all come with fleet flex now. Meaning you can borrow a friend's plow or transport a plow for someone else, even if you own a little straight blade you CAN hook up to a V blade or even a Wide-out. The ultra-mount is universal so one size fits all as far as that goes. Can be a pain getting an orphan plow hooked up because it won't be sitting quite at the right level but noting you can't fix with a pry bar, a bit of foul language and a bit of violence. With a Boss I believe there is little flexibility when it comes to switching between models. One down side to this compatibility thing is that a thief can hook up to your plow and steel it too! Use the security code built into the controller and put a chain & lock on it to provide, at the very least, an inconvenience to the crooks.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  16. OhioDale

OhioDale Junior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the comments. Keep them coming

17. OhioDale

OhioDale Junior Member
    from Ohio

Mvp3 ordered so now we wait

18. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

I have only seen 1 MVP3 around town. They are huge!!! Awesome looking though, hope it works out good for ya. I would love one!

19. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

Just realized I repeated what you said. I guess I need to read before I post lol.

In regards to the purchase. Nice!