1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Conveyor or auger???Which is best for spreading gravel??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by stackmaster, Nov 9, 2008.

1. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

I am looking to buy a spreader but am having a heck of a time figuring out which one to buy. Pretty sure I'm looking to buy and electric with poly hopper but have no idea whether a conveyor or an auger will move the material better. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I doubt it makes much difference. The spinner with its variable speed and spread is the key.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

JMO but i'd go with a conveyor. Augers have more of a freeze and packing problem then conveyors but an auger will spread a tad evener onto the spinner.

4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

does anyone make a electric with a conveyer/chain ? is that wha the tornado is?

we use dump truck's to spread gravel.....you may want to reconsider useing a SALT spreader lol

pj

5. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Our electric units all run conveyor chains. :nod:

6. powerjoke

you make a poly V-box, electric?

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You never asked that before. LOL

8. powerjoke

yeah i guess not :p lol ......answer the Q' tom :Dlol

9. toby4492

No poly v-box, either painted or stainless steel PJ :drinkup: :waving:

10. powerjoke

that's even better,....who would want poly when SS is available :D

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My thinking also.:drinkup:

12. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Come on guys, I have a Swensen Ploy hawk in electric. Works great, no problem with motors or dealing with gas cans and multi switches, just on or off. For Toby, if it makes you feel any better, I also have a Snow way SS electric v-box. Works great for single condo driveways.

13. toby4492

I was feeling great already but now am :yow!:

Thanks for being a Sno-Way customer. :waving:

14. stackmaster

Thanks for the replies guys. In Calgary I pretty much have to spread gravel. Its more readily available and sometimes to cold for salt.

Does this mean that SS would be an obvious choice over Poly?????

15. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Both will work just fine. (SS or Poly) If you are spreading gravel (really?) then the conveyor would be the better choice.

16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i think it would be if you mostly spread gravel

17. stackmaster

Thanks again for the help.
    Just so ya know.... the gravel is very small, ranging in size from 1/8" to 1/4" (sometimes its dipped in a brine solution to penetrate the ice and or hard pack) We joke about the city gravel spreaders being in cahoots with the windshield repair guys.

18. albertaplowman

albertaplowman Junior Member

Auger vs Conveyor

I find that the auger works good and spreads nice and even. The conveyor spreads in waves which is ok to. I have had a rock small enough to fit through the screen but large enough to get jammed in the auger. It is not fun digging out all the sand to find a large rock jammed in the auger. We are going to fix the screen to help reduce the opportunity for large rocks to make it through. This has only happened once out of hundreds of loads and generally rocks make it through the auger. The thing to keep in mind with unsalted sand chips is they like to stick in the spreader. They freeze to the sides of the spreader about an inch thick. When i first started sanding i was buying the unsalted sand chips to save some money but it ended up being a huge hassle to keep the material flowing. After I started using salted sand chips I noticed that everyone was using salted and no one ever got loaded from the unsalted pile. I like the auger better. It seams to be a simpler making repairs and maintenance easier. I also like having separate controls for auger speed and the spinner speed.