1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Conveyor Chain Question (V-Box)

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Stan, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Are all chains interchangeable? I have a Smith V-box and I do not want to pay a million bucks for it. Sorry for the ignorance but from what I see the sprockets look the same and am speculating the length and width is what I'm after?

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You may be able to get a chain from a Farm supply Store. (Tractor Suppyl)

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Correct. Width, number of links, size of the pintle chain. there are aftermarket units out there. PM me if you want more info.

4. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Its the conveyor chain not the drive chain but thanks for the reply

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

6. Stan

Stan Senior Member

what's the length of the spreader ]8'

what's the distance between the sprockets.( Is this measured from inside to inside or from middle of sprocket to the other?

what size are the links (Lost on this one I think...Is the measurement from center of each link?

I tried Angelos but came up w/ nothing. I also need the shaft from motor to spinner inside the chute with both bearings

7. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I think you answered my question on the measurements. Clicked on the link which has a diagram

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There is no aftermarket chain readily available for your model spreader. JD's source is your opition unless you want to go direct to Smith.

9. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I guess they got me by the ****'s. I would imagine the shafts, bearings and sprockets would be readily available aftermarket?

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sure they are

11. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

Stan we run a couple of Smiths. In the past we have just purchased the spinner shaft from Smith the bearings can be picked up at any supplier just make sure you have the correct shaft diamater. The sprockets can be found at McMaster Carr same as above, shaft diamater and just count the teeth on your current sprocket.

Bob :salute: :salute:

12. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Bob
    It's funny you mentioned McMasters. Yesterday while I was measuring I thought McMasters would have just about everything excluding the obvious. If I'm not mistaken the shaft is 1" o.d. X 40" L. Two sprokets on the shaft are 18" x 48 teeth with the other at 3" x 16 teeth. By chance do you happen to have the part numbers?
    Are you running electric or gas?