1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

conveyer belt in MN.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PTTP08, Sep 25, 2011.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I am looking for a used or new 7.5 conveyer belt for a snow deflector. I live in Plymouth MN. I can't see paying in the $150.00 range for a factory Western snow deflector. These people are freakn nuts!! Please point in the right direction thank you.
  2. leon

leon Senior Member

conveyor belt

Are you asking for a new rubber conveyor
    belt section with splices for your salt spreader
    is that what you are asking for?
  3. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Go to a tractor supply store, get combine/tractor belting. Its cheap and works awesome. Get it in any width and length your heart desires
  4. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Oh this is for a western unimount snow plow application.
  5. leon

leon Senior Member

conveyor belt

AH HAH!!!!

I see what you want now;

If you can have a local gravel pit
    nearby that is still crushing you
    can call and ask if they have a
    20 foot of old belt you could buy
    asit simply gets dumper or buried.

Your going to need a good sabre
    saw to cut the belt with a straight
    edge and a good quality industrial
    hole punch set for leather to punch
    the holes otherwise you need a drill
    press and a table to lay the belt on
    and clamp it down while you drill it
    with a hole saw bit the size of the
    mounting holes.

Dont ask me about the incident
    with the drill press and the
    conveyor belt!!
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  6. Andrew010

Andrew010 Senior Member

Not sure if this guy is the cheapest, but it's top notch belting.

I've bought 2 from this guy and will buy another when I get a new plow. I didn't need a drill press or leather punch or anything crazy like that. I used a straight edge and razor blade to cut 6 inches off for my last plow that was 7.5 ft. Then I simply used my 18v dewalt cordless drill and a 3/8" or so drill bit and drilled out some holes to bolt it onto the plow. A leather punch may have made a cleaner hole but a standard drill bit worked just fine.

Less than $50 for brand new belting that should dam near last forever. I probably could have found some used belting for cheap or free but I though it would look too cheap to put worn out faded belting on a new $5,000+ plow.

Just my ,02
  7. dave leitner

dave leitner Junior Member

Harris machine off uinversity and 280 used to have belting. But havent been there in awhile so I cant for sure
  8. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Are you using it for the snow deflector? If not can u show me a picture of what your using it for?
  9. cole22

cole22 Senior Member

Just my advice I put on a 1 1/2' wide on the front my my plow! Its huge looks not rite but it's not hardly getting any snow dust on the windshield! Not sure where your located in MN but check out McCrossin Ames all the big dirt outfits around.
  10. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Do you live by a hockey rink? See if they have any extra rubber matting laying around. That's what Ive done with my last five plows.
  11. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Check all your local gravel pits grain elevators etc they all use miles and miles of belting and the old stuff usually gets thrown away.