1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

convetional plow bracing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cpsnowremoval, Dec 3, 2009.

1. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

i have a 1987 ford f150 with a western conventional plow mount. in the process of making supports to go on the frame. theres a swaybar thats in the cross member and i was wondering if it would b strong enough to take the abuse of pushing snow?

2. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Could you clarify that?

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No you can not attach to the sway bar. I suggest you go to the western site And find the instructions on installing a mount on your truck for and idea as to where and how to attach the thruster arms. Many mounts for that era ford required removal of the sway bar.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And that one was one of them for sure. :nod:

5. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

so i can take the sway bar off without much problems?

6. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Right. The sway bar just helps with, well, sway, otherwise known as body roll. You may notice a difference but it won't be much of one. I took my front sway bar off years ago and I have a huge lift on my Bronco which makes the roll even worse. It's really not a big deal.

7. richierichr1

richierichr1 Junior Member

I have same problem.I just bought a western plow that was supposed to be on a 90 f-150 and i bought a 91 f-150 and its got the cross brace with sway bar.I couldnt find any info on westerns site or anyplace else.i didnt want to remove unless i was supposed to.could any body assure me it will work ? heres some pics i took.also the mounting holes are opposite of what are in frame.i still think something has to be modified any ideas ? thanks

Plow023.jpg

Plow024.jpg