1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Converting to a Dually

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by MGardner, Oct 22, 2003.

1. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

After owning "Hoss" our 91 4X4 W250 Cummins for 4.5 years now I`ve decided to convert to dualls. They say it will be about 400 bucks for the rear. Ordered a Rugby hoist this AM for it. Looked into trading.....we are keeping Hoss because we know what`s done to it. With duallys it will be better for hauling river rock, salt, rock,sand .....is the idea. Hope to hear some encouraging testimony.:cool:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's a fairly easy swap.Consider getting the bigger D80 rear,maybe even one of the newer ones with the rear discs.A limited slip would be nice too.

Just make sure you match the gear ratio to the front,or you'll be in for a suprise when you put it in 4WD. :eek: Double check it before it goes in.

3. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

Actually I was thinking of using an adapter kit whereas I would use my differential.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

That would work too.Make sure it's a high quality kit like an Arrowcraft.

5. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

I believe that`s all I`ll need other than a good set of junkyard wheels for now (dually). They must work OK . My differential is a Dana 70 and evertime I get parts I have to buy for a one ton so....Thanx for the reply.:cool:

6. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I once bought wheel adapters and fenders to build a dual wheel 3/4 ton 78 suburban . I got the adapters from JCwhitney and really nice fenders from a truck outfit in Houston
    Bill