1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Converting Speedcast Style Blade to MM

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by djljeep, Dec 31, 2012.

1. djljeep

djljeep Junior Member

So today we managed to split the trip edge on our 8' Minute Mount Hybrid setup(Mostly MM2 controls and hydraulics, MM1 headgear Blade and A frame).

In the process of dissecting the tripe dge during the autopsy, I have discovered that this blade (which has outlived several trucks) is bent in pretty much every way.

I still intend to fix it, and have been welding away on it, but I am looking at replacing the blade for something that looks nicer and might even be straight.

I am finding alot of older blades for sale, but not many newer ones, which I expected, and I'm not about to buy an entire new setup unless its cheap.

So this brings me to the topic of converting an older blade to a newer A frame. I remember I tried it once before, and that I thought it wouldn't work, but now people on craigslist are telling me they can be converted by "adding an angle for torsion spring"?

Does anybody have pretty pictures to show me how to do this?

2. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

You will notice that on your plows A frame there is (or should be) a piece of angle iron mounted across the top back near the where the mounting ears attach to the headgear. This angle iron is where the torsion spring on the headgear applies pressure to hold the headgear upright when not mounted on the truck. Most of the earlier plows do not have this piece of angle and you have to add it to use with a MM1 setup. All of my plows are currently on the trucks so you can't really see it but when i get one off i will snap a pic.

3. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Maybe this will help. The angle between the crude arrows is the piece in question

mm_aframe_rd.gif

4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

my plow doesnt have the tortoin spring. you dont need it. On the old plows the angle iron on the a frame is in the way of the jack. I had to cut it off and weld a new one back by were the ears are.

fisfre2.jpg

fisher.jpg

photof.jpg

5. djljeep

djljeep Junior Member

My plows don't have that spring on them.

So as long as I get the speedcast A arm with the blade I should be good to go?

6. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Yes if you have no spring then the angle iron is a non issue. Just make sure the the plow you buy has the same width at the mounting ears as the plow you are replacing.

7. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

On the speadcast that angle iron piece is right where the jack goes down . You will have to move it or use a mm1 A frame on the speadcaster blade.

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I converted an old diamond to a MM1 hybrid. I am still not sure what that spring does. I don't have one and I can't see it assisting in any way.

9. Sort of.....that spring keeps the headgear from falling forward and smashing onto the plow when it is removed from the truck. A speedcaster blade and A frame will fit a MM1 setup. I did mine that way but I welded the angle iron in for the torsion spring.

10. djljeep

djljeep Junior Member

I checked My speedcast blade against my MM headgear, And the width of the Speedcast was more than a couple inches larger than the MM. Not a Huge issue as I was Able to weld the trip edge back together and patch it back together one more time.