1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Converting plowsite from 2 wire multiplex to 3 wire ISO

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 97f250Heavyduty, Jan 17, 2015.

1. 97f250Heavyduty

97f250Heavyduty Senior Member

Hey guys, have a brand new Ultramount straight blade plow that is set up for 2 wire multiplex wiring. My trucks as of right now are the older 3 wire ISO module wiring. I want to convert the plow to the older 3 wire set up. From my research it looks like I need the 2 wiring harnesses part number 26359 and 26347 as well as the older style battery cable. Does that seem right to the people who have done the conversion already and is it possible at all to have both sets of wires on there to use either the 2 plug or 3 plug set up? Thanks guys.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

No it is not possible to have both on the plow. Multiplex switches ground side, 3 plug switches positive side of valves. Now you can have both harnesses on the truck, many here have done it. All you should need to switch plow to three plug is plow side control and motor harness.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I think you could have both setups attached to the plow but you would need to install a bunch of switches to isolate the two systems to make it work, I don't think it's practical.

The headlights & cable on the plow will be the same, that also goes for the isolation module, truck headlight harness and cable that goes from the isolation module to the grill (11 pin plug) You will need to install a motor relay under the hood, install a new control harness, a new battery cable and you will need an adapter (29047)to make the control harness mate up with the isolation module.

Come to think of it why not just order a 49664 (Vehicle side SB 3-plug common) package. It comes with the control cable, adapter, motor relay, relay to grill battery cable and the short battery cable that goes from + to the motor relay. That will cover everything you need for the truck side in one bag.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  4. 97f250Heavyduty

Thanks for the replies guys.

The plow I bought is a 2 plug multiplex. All of my trucks are already 3 plug ISO module wiring. I want to convert the plow to 3 plug wiring so that I can use it on the rest of my trucks. I really dont need both 3 plug and 2 plug on the plow but I figured if it was easy to do I would have. Now I just have to get remove the 2 plug wires and get the necessary cables for a 3 wire and swap them onto the new plow

5. mishnick

I hope that you have considered that every truck should be measured for front end elevation and the plow set for that height right? If all your trucks are the same make, model and tire size you should be good but if you try to run the same plow on a jacked up monster and a typical GM with torsion bar front suspension you are going to have problems. The configuration adjustment kinda mates the plow to a truck. The thing to look for is that the plow A-frame is level when the truck is on a flat floor and the plow is lowered. Just set a torpedo level on it. If it's too high or too low and the A-frame slopes up or down you will find the cutting edge will wear on the ends faster than in the middle and you will not get a clean scrape. On V-plows the problem is much worse, both cutting edges will be round.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  6. 97f250Heavyduty

All are ford f2-350. All are stock suspension in the front, never had a problem with swapping plows because for the most part the trucks all sit pretty close to each other. I did read about how they must be adjusted depending on what style truck. Currently I only have straight blades and want to make this new one a backup.

7. mishnick

All same model, same make, same front ends... Sounds ideal, should work just fine. That's the advantage of brand loyalty.Thumbs Up