1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Converting over from gas to electric

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tuney443, Mar 4, 2009.

1. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone here tried converting over a small gas engine {10.5HP B+S} to an electric setup? I just blew my motor and am thinking why can't it be done fairly cheaply and quickly.Probably a different lower geared power reducer would be needed I'm thinking.The price of a new replacement engine is ridiculous I think--$1300-$1400 from my dealer.Any thoughts out there?

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Yep PM for more info. Its a stickey at another site.

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

$1200.00?
    i bought a used tractor with a 12.5 briggs only had to fab a bracket for the idle motor
    and swap the pulley cost me a $100.00 that was 2 yrs ago.ill probaly by a spare this spring just to put on the shelf

JR

4. Heimy

Heimy Junior Member

Angelos supply $570.00, bs 10hp

5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I did it. I would say it ended up costing around $400. Electic motor (I probably went oversize for what I really needed in comparison to my snoway electrics) I eleiminated the clutch so I needed some new sprockets and chains. I bought a variable control off ebay.

I did it on a stainless Ice O Way. I still have it and no gas spreaders anymore. If I did it again I would have to smaller motors, one for the spinner and one for the conveyor so that I would have even more control of the material by having sperate controls for each motor.

6. keitha

keitha Senior Member

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The electric unit normally have a differant ratio gear reduction unit so the larger motor was a good thing.

8. tubbykid

tubbykid Junior Member

i have a used 10.5 briggs complete its about 4 years old runs fine for 100 ..........we have switched ours over to electric for about 400

9. tuney443

1200.00?
    i bought a used tractor with a 12.5 briggs only had to fab a bracket for the idle motor
    and swap the pulley cost me a $100.00 that was 2 yrs ago.ill probaly by a spare this spring just to put on the shelf

There's a world of difference in pricing with B+S line-up of engines.It all depends on what ''class'' you're into.There's some 12-14HP ones that are less costly than the heavier 8 HP ones that I need.Also keep in mind,mine comes with a 6-1 power reduction motor.I've got one located now for about a grand--very hard engine to locate---205457,type 0050 with the gear reduction at the 12 oclock position.

10. tuney443

''i have a used 10.5 briggs complete its about 4 years old runs fine for 100 ..........we have switched ours over to electric for about 400 ''

Please tell me more about both. Thanks.

11. tubbykid

tubbykid Junior Member

as for the motor i think i have 3 or 4 of them this one i no there is nothing wrong with its complete with the size 41 sprocket still on it.......i think we put a new starter on it two years ago but i would have to check all the records..............as for the electric switch over what we use is a leeson motor 5/8 shaft 1900 rpm and ithink it is 3/4 hp.......we use a 60 tooth size 40 sprocket on the gear box and a 12 tooth on the motor.......i also put sensors on ours so i can tell if the chain freezes or breaks and when every thing is working...........but sprocket sizes vary due to how wide you want to spread

12. tuney443

Sounds like you have a completely different setup than mine.I have a horizontal shaft with a 6-1 reduction gear onto a pulley w belts that go to an electric clutch.Power then goes into a reduction gear under the engine plate out to the other side that then powers 2 sprocket and chain setups to move the spinner and conveyor chain.I would like to be able to put the electric motor horizontally to line up with the existing clutch below.Anybody?

13. tubbykid

tubbykid Junior Member

no its the same its just hard to explain ill see if i cant get some pics for you

14. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Where do you get the electricity to run a 3/4 horse motor. I think it would need like 150-200 amps at 12 volts.

15. CSC Contracting

CSC Contracting Senior Member

I would like to see some pics. Sounds like a good switch over. Where do you get the elec. motors Northern tool?

16. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Grainger :drinkup: