1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Converting hydro to electric

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bossman 92, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Well early this year I bought a very lightly used Hi Way hydro 3 yd V box for $200. Well I got a quote to plumb our f550 with central hydros for 9k. I know there hasto be a way to convert it to dual electric motors, but not sure what I need or how to do it.

Can someone tell me what size motors we will need to pull this off, and where I can find them?

Thanks Bossman

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

$9K is a stupid high price.
    I got a quote last year for a clutch pump system on my 6500 for $5300 and that is in Canada. I'm sure you can do better then that.
    We have 3 hydro salters and 1 electric. The electric does not throw it as far and if you plow with it fully loader it is hard starting the drag chain with the packed snow.
    Not sure I would want to spend that much money on an old truck but not sure you would be happy with the hydro.
    What about a gas driven hydraulic system. I have no idea how much they are but at least you could take it to another truck.

3. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

I am not sure about your model but i know they make super P with gas engines on the back (around 11 hp), you might be better off retro fitting your hydro with an engine driven unit , i am sure you can do it cheaper than 5 k , if not give me a call and i will do it for 5 k and have a nice trip to vegas

4. Bossman 92

The funny thing is 9k is cheaper than the price of 11k I got earlier this year. Mabey I am missing somthing, but I was quoted 4k (from another dealer) just for the parts to plumb up central hydros.

I have no problem going either gas or electric, I am just not sure which is the best route.

Bossman

5. Bossman 92

Update: I've decided to go electric and use two motors, one to drive the drag chain and one for the spinner.

I've done alot of research and I know I need a gear reducer for the drag chain motor, but everything I've found says I need a chain and sprocket to reduce it so the electric motor will work. Is this right, because this spreader is all hydro, and it does have a gear box on the side, but I am not sure I also need a chain and sprocket setup.

It seems pretty simple, but this chain and sprocket thing has got me stumped.

I can get pics in the morning, if anyone wants.

Thanks Bossman

6. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

7. A&LSiteService

A&LSiteService Senior Member

I just had central hydro's put on my 550 and it was right around $5000 installed. Knaphide did the install, 9k is the highest price I have ever seen.

8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  9. Bossman 92

Thanks for the help guys, I spent all day working on this. I ended up buying all the supplies that I will need to convert this over today. Tomorrow we are loading all the spreaders into the trucks, so I will be able to start some time after lunch.

I'll keep you all posted, Bossman

10. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

how did you end up guaging what your sprocket ratio is?

11. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

There are calculators online to calculate ratios. I have done a number of conversions on both gas and hydro spreaders to electric. I always get a slightly higher HP motor. It will end up giving you the power you need without overworking and seems to draw less amps under normal load. Get the ratios right and you will not notice any difference in the spread pattern.

If you use dual motors you could even put a speed control on the spinner (which can be a much smaller motor then the drag chain) and have a great control of spread width.