1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Converting Hourly Cost to Total Sum

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by steinbauer12, Jul 31, 2011.

1. steinbauer12

steinbauer12 Junior Member

My Client has requested that he would like to have a total sum of plowing, salting, and shoveling - per 1" - 3", 4" - 8" etc. on my proposal. How do I figure that out? Is it based on last years snow fall? Prediction? I have all the sqft of all the lots and all side walks, but don't know how to price accordingly. Thanks in advance for your help. Scott
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Take what you think what it costs each time to plow it then multiply it by how many times you think you'll plow in a year.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So he wants a price to plow and salt for 4-8 inch storm, for example?

What would last year's weather have to do with that?
  4. steinbauer12

It isn't just plowing and salting...he wants shoveling included as well. Last years snow has really nothing to do with it. But not having plowed these 10 commercial lots before.. how do I gauge cost? Average lot is 50,000 sqft....plus additional walks and enterances from: 2,000- 8,000sqft
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How were you planning to bid? Hourly?

Do you have any experience with lots of this size? Are you equipped to handle ten of them?
  6. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Who are you bidding them for? Direct to the customer or through a 3rd (or 4th,or 5th) party?
  7. steinbauer12

Right to the property owner.
  8. steinbauer12

I experience with lots this size but not with pricing them out. Is there a industry standard for time per sqft? How do I incorporate the side walk into that total.?
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Were you plowing for free?
  10. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

If you plowed one similiar before look back to see how long it took. Compair the old lot to the new ones. Adjust the time up or down. Multiply time by hourly rate thats your plow price. Do the same for the sidewalks. Thats your sidewalk price. Do the same for salting but add in material usage. Thats your salting price. Add all 3 together thats your total. Now add 10% for errors and issues and underpricing and thats your price.
  11. steinbauer12

Hello, That is great advice. Thanks. One last question...How many hours to plow a 50,000 sqft lot? 1-3 inches?
  12. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm surprised someone in your market is seriously considering bids for 10 lots that average over an acre from someone who can't have any legit references since you clearly haven't done this before.....
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I can't imagine him being awarded the bid...
  14. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

This entire thread sounds a little off.

-you are looking at 10 lots at 50 000sqft a lot, and you have zero idea how to price them?
    -do you have the equipment to do these lots?
    -how long do YOU think it well take with your equipment?
    -if you are about to over extend yourself, do you have a contingency plan?
    -please for the love of God tell me you have insurance?

I am a little disturbed that you are bidding something like this and have no idea how much time it well take to clear a 50 000 sq ft lot or that you would expect us to tell you how long it well take for you to do it, but you have yet to tell us what equipment you have.