1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

converting fuel injection to carb?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by turfman15, Dec 3, 2006.

1. turfman15

turfman15 Senior Member

i have a 1988 f250 with a 351 in it. i am have problems with the fuel injection part of it. i have spark and i am getting fuel all the way to the fuel rail but it won't fire. the truck is just a backup truck so it sit around alot. it has been sitting for a year now and would like to fix it so it will work this winter. any ideas would be great. somebody told me that may be I could convert it to carborated, but i don't kn ow if that is possible.
    thanks for any help
  2. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

it can be done but you will need an intake carb dist and some modification skilss for some brakets and the like. if you can hit a junk yard and they will let you pull the parts yourself it would help with like throttle braket and vacume hose routing. or just take a look at the wireing harness by the back where all the injectors plug in may be corroded there and that would cause fuel to injectors but no injector pulse. hope this helps
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You have a lot less problems with EFI then carbs. Haynes makes a EFI book that helps to figure out whats wrong. Most repair manuals have no start check outs too.
    You have to make sure you have the right pressure to operate the injectors. Not knowing the pressure, having gas does not mean much. There is a shrader valve hookup to check the pressure on the injector rail. Pumps are real picky about voltage. Might have a bad connection. Pressure regulator could be bad. Could have the wires chewed through from critters somewhere. Ignition module could be bad,they fail all the time. Could be bad gas too if it's not run for a while.
  4. Rickco

Rickco Member

I wouldn't do it. When a fuel injection system is working right they are the best way to go. You most likely have a corroded wire or connetion. Check your voltage at the injectors. Pay attention closely to the ground. I've done this on many older fords,more so from ones that sit a lot.
  5. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm going to agree with these guys. The idea of a carb being simpler than EFI is a common thought that isn't really true. EFI rules over carbs in almost all aspects, and problem diagnosis is one of those.