1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

converting from steel to poly

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by finnegan, Nov 4, 2003.

1. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

anyone changed out the steel on the front of the moldboard with lexan or polycarbonate?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

What kind of plow are you planning on doing this to ?

Most plows would need more reinforcement,as the steel moldboard is a structural part of the plow.

3. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

an old western pro plow- i can fab up anything full welding shop at home

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

You would need to add a few extra ribs,and some cross bracing to make it stiff enough.You would also need somehing to retain the poly at the top and hold it onto the plow.

If you really want the slick benefits of poly,I'd just glue on one of those poly plow liners.

5. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

If your just looking for the benifits of poly go with a glue on ploy shield. imo it would be alot easier than having to refab your plow to make it structuraly sound for just using a poly moldboard. not only that but i believe if probaly would be cheaper too.

6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

you can pickup those poly pow liners for $35 at angelos right now

7. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

the liner would be the easy way out ,im looking to refurbish this plow

8. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

if you want to refurbish the plow why not just buy a new steel skin and weld it on? prob be easier than trying to fab it a poly moldboard.

9. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

all the fab shops around here can only roll 4ft sections ,id have to weld them together unless i can order from somewhere?

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you want to weld a new steel sheet onto it,you can roll your own as you put it on.Bend it,tack it,bend it,tack it.If you take your time it will look as good as new.