1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Converting from belt driven to electric hydraulics

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 2goldens, Jul 26, 2005.

1. 2goldens

2goldens Junior Member

I've got a Fisher 7 1/2' plow mounted on a 1990 F-250 with a 7.5 L gas motor. Bought the truck with the most jury rigged setup you ever saw. Someone had taken a pump with a V belt pulley and welded a serp belt pulley onto it. Way out of balance and snapped the shafts on 2 pumps in short period of time.
    This setup has been removed and the stock configuration returned to the power steering and alternator belts. My local Fisher dealer can't seem to come up with a proper bracket and pulley setup for my truck, so my idea is to go to electric hydraulic and be done with the belt driven mess.
    Any good sources for these pumps at a reasonable price as well as some setup advice? Thanks!

2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

3. 2goldens

2goldens Junior Member

I almost think I could buy the indivdual parts cheaper from Mill Supply if I knew exactly what was needed beyond the obvious: pump, motor, reservoir, solenoid nad appropriate wiring and control switch. I'm trying to come up with a complete parts list, but no luck so far.

4. 2goldens

2goldens Junior Member

I see in a Northern Tool catalog that I just received that they also have a similar unit (part #1077-1521) with remote cord set for about $130 less than the one mentioned in the other link. But the product description doesn't get into specifics about what functions the remote will control, such as float or if it would work with the angle rams.

5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I may be able to find you a bracket for the hydro, let me take a look.

If not go to a htdraulic shop / truck upfitter and have them make up brackets. It is well worth it to stay with the reliable belt drive. No battery draw being the main reason.

As for cost of switching over, you are looking at $500 to over $1000 by the time you find a pump and controls. Not worth it IMO. I think you could have a shop build brackets fora couple hundred.

6. 2goldens

2goldens Junior Member

It isn't so much the bracket, though that is an issue. This truck runs with 2 serp belts for power steering and alternator. The truck also used to have A/C, but that was gone before I got the truck. All anyone I've dealt with can seem to find are pumps with a V belt pulley. The local Fisher guys say that Fisher doesn't even list a pump with a serp pulley anymore for a 1990 460 Ford.
    I'm not real worried about the battery draw. This truck might get 4-500 miles per year put on it. 3 family driveways and a dump run now and then.

7. Flipper

from CT

According to my Fisher Books, the kit came with a v-belt pulley that bolted to the water pump pulleys on the engine. This connected to the pump with brackets.

I actually have a buddies 89 F350 with a 460 and Fisher belt drive coming in later today for a trailer wiring problem. I will take a look and try to snap some pics.

Those are pretty common setups and I have a few sources where I could probably find the setup for you for a couple hundred. Much less then a electric setup.

For a truck that sits a lot I think the belt drive is even better.

By the way the same thing I have in my book, can be viewed here... http://www.fishersnowplows.com/pdf/6389_082494.pdf

8. 2goldens

2goldens Junior Member

Thanks, Flip. Any help is appreciated. As you state, any diagrams that I've seen show a V belt pulley also. But this old dog definitely has serp belts running both power steering and alternator.
    There was an A/C compressor on it at one time, but it had been removed (along with windshield washer pump & reservoir) before I got the truck. As I said,it was quite a jury rig. They just removed and chucked the windshield washer gear to bolt the control valves to the inner fender. I've since located and installed the washer gear. :realmad:
    I notice in that drawing that it looks like parts of it are a dual V belt setup. This one has serp belts and a tensioner that isn't shown in the Fisher diagram.
    This is what I'm looking at now!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  9. Flipper

from CT

OK i just looked at the truck. I am actually waiting for the shop to cool back down now that the door is closed.

The 460 is running two serp belts. One for the crank water pump and alternator and one that runs crank water pump and power steering. In front of the two serp pulleys on the water pump, there is a v-belt pulley (Fisher) bolted on. This runs a belt up to the Pump only above / in front of the driver's side head of the motor.

I made a few calls, and if the weather breaks I have a guy who will look through his old setups to see if he has the mounting parts and pulley for the setup.

10. 2goldens

2goldens Junior Member

Thanks Flipper. The serp belt setup sounds the same as the photo of my truck.

11. snoking

snoking Senior Member

i have pumps and brackets in stock for central setups....send my you truck specs, and what not or pm me and ill give you my number....get you hooked up

12. 2goldens

2goldens Junior Member

Tried to send a PM, but was not allowed to for whatever reason. Anyway, the truck is a 1990 F 250 with a 460. There's a link in one of my other posts on this thread that shows a pic of the setup. It's got serp belts for the power steering, alternator and water pump. From what I've been able to figure out so far with the help of Flipper, there should be a V belt pulley in front of the water pump serp pulley. I'd need that, then the brackets to correctly mount the pump. Thanks Erik.

13. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Erik the forum will not let you send PM's until you have at least 25 posts AND are a member for at least 30 days.

14. Flipper

from CT

I got the setup, for ya. Delivered this morning. I want to clean it up and check hte brackets for cracks.

Let me know how to get a hold of you.

15. 2goldens

2goldens Junior Member

Apparently I can't PM yet because I haven't been a member for 30 days and don't have enough posts anyway. I have a yahoo address that I use for misc. BS, you can contact me there. goldensx2@yahoo.com

16. 2goldens

2goldens Junior Member

C'mon Flipper, old bud. I'm looking at $800 - $1200 to do the electric thing and would rather not if you can come through with the parts for me. goldensx2@yahoo.com

17. Flipper

from CT

Sorry, I missed your post. I will check the parts first thing in the morning and compare them to my friend's truck, then I will get you out an e-mail.

18. 2goldens

2goldens Junior Member

Did you find out anything Flipper? Haven't heard anything in 6 days, winter's coming!

19. snoking

snoking Senior Member

Ever heard of a honda box for running live hydros?

20. 2goldens

2goldens Junior Member

Nope, never heard of one. What's involved with them and how expensive? If I can't find the correct brackets and the pulley for in front of the fan, I may have to bite the bullet and spend the $579 on the Northern Tool unit mentioned in a previous response to this thread.