1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

converting conventional three wire truck side wiring to wideout wiring.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jasonz, Dec 21, 2013.

1. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Heres the deal 2008 f350 with a three wire setup with 3 port iso mod.

I have the chance to get a wide out with the complete wiring for a 04 chevy for a very good price. The guy selling says I would be able to use all of his wiring except the light harness which I could buy for around $200.

Is this the case? Im banking on being able to sell my current blade and wiring to offset some of the cost of the new plow. The deal is somewhat time sensitive so any help would be appreciated, my local dealer sucks and the not local guy i use is closed today so I'm a bit lost.

Thanks

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

you would be able to use the headlight wiring you already have, so just leave that part installed on your truck. the main part of the wiring is different, so for that you would use what he gives you. then put his headlight harness and module with the main harness and battery cables that you take off your truck, and that will give you a complete set of wiring to sell with your old plow.
    hopefully that makes sense.

3. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

I think it makes sense lol

So I'm using all his wiring minus his head light harness

So I will be left with a three wire setup for an 04 Chevy.

4. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

so i came across another deal, this one is a few hours closer and a newer plow in better shape. He has the controller but no wiring. from what I gather I need a different control harness $90 and a battery cable $ 90 and I can use my iso mod and headlight harness

am I correct?

5. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Anybody? I want to make sure before I buy

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds like you have it right. Your 3 port ISO module and headlight harness can stay but u will need the controller cable (goes from cab controller to battery and has 2 four pin plugs). Then u need the multiplex power cable that connect directly to the battery + and - without the motor relay. This cable looks a lot like your old power cable but if u look close at the grill end u will see the two additional, small communication pins beside the two always hot power pins.
    When u install the setup is a bit different than the old. At the grill there r only two plugs. Plow lights and ow power / controls.
    There r two plugs on the controller cable that cause a lot of problems because they can b interchanged. One is raged "battery" and plugs into the battery cable where command signals r passed over to those two small pins in the power plug. The other 4 pin plug on the control cable goes to the headlight harness.
    Also understand that your old motor relay comes right out and goes with the old plow. The Wide-out has the motor relay on board.
    There is also the ignition wire under the dash. Just cut the old one and reconnect the new one.
    Hope that helps.

7. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Thanks. Are those two problem connections labeled? Or easy to tell the difference? In the diagram it looks like the battery one is a heavier wire than the one the plugs into the light harness.

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Those two plugs r identical and interchangeable. One is labeled battery and that one must go to the plug on the battery cable. The other has no label and goes to headlight harness.

9. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

installed them this morning no problems. thanks for the help