1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Converting belt drive to chain drive

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by xtreem3d, Oct 23, 2009.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

hi guys,
    tomorrow i am going to convert a belt drive swenson spreader to a chain drive (off the clutch to the crankshaft) i searched the archives but didn't find any info on how it worked out. my only small concern is that the chain length from sprocket on clutch to gear on crankshaft is going to be longer than all the chains i have measured on various salters.anyone do this already?
    TIA,
    steve

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

It souldn't really matter how long it is, worst case you could add a roller/poly carbnonate(the hard white plastic stuff I think), to take up slack if there isn't enough adjustment built into the spreader

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How far apart are the two shafts?

4. xtreem3d

i thought the shafts would be 14-16" apart but after loosening the motor and cleaning the motor mount base so the motor could be slide all the way to the slot stops it was about 12" apart. the switch to chain went smooth and works great, at least in an empty salter ..hehe

5. dalmatian

dalmatian Junior Member

Hey treem3d how did you make out with this conversion. I have a meyers spreader i was thinking of doing the same thing. Seems when ever i am out sanding I have to turn my switch on off on off a bunch of times before it catches. I never had this problem with my fisher spreader which was chain driven. If you could let me know how you made out and possibly let me know what you used! thanks in advance if at all possible

6. xtreem3d

my conversion worked and still works great. very glad i made the switch. i bought my parts from angelo's, the clutch sprocket will be 52 tooth, my 1" diameter (honda engine) crankshaft gear was a 13 tooth but a 12 will work also and some #40 roller chain. your biggest problem might be getting your clutch off without cutting or torching it off. i got lucky and mine came off fairly easy. i just cut off the crank pulley because i wasn't going to use it again...need any help..let me know
    steve

7. dalmatian

dalmatian Junior Member

Thank you for the info

8. dalmatian

dalmatian Junior Member

Xtreeme just a quick update switched to the chain driven as well as an electric motor no more problems turns on when I hit the switch thanks again for your help