1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Converting a Western to fit a newer Ford

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JBFab, Nov 13, 2008.

1. JBFab

JBFab Junior Member

Hey guys, just joined here and I have a quick question or two. I have my old high school sweetheart ('84 FS Bronco w/302) it also has a newer western plow on it. (7'-6" probably from the early to mid 90's) I would really like to stick the time and money into this thing to bring her back to life, but realistically I would end up throwing oodles of cash at it. I had a brain-fart the other day that maybe I could take the plow off and mount it on my '02 SD with a 5.4 auto trans. I definitely have the fabrication ability and equipment, and I can get material for next to nothing so that part of it is really no concern. My question is, is this a reasonable thing to do? How will the electronics hook up? (It doesn't look that hard to me) Another concern of mine is airbags. Are the sensors relocated in a factory setup? are they put on a switch or removed or something? And how about the transmission? As I said it's an auto, which I like, but will it hold up alright? It has about 145K miles on it, the engine is nearly new with only about 3000 miles on it. Forgive me if I am asking stupid questions. Just looking for an answer to say get movin! or are you outta your mind??
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is it a Unimount plow? If so, it's likely worth the transfer. If it's an old conventional mount setup...forget it.

Uni mount undercarriages are rather tough to find so if you have the proper skills and knowledge to hand fab one kudos's to you...because its a job to do it properly and correctly.

Wiring/lighting plug in adapter harness can still be purchased new for your Super Duty even though the Uni's are fast becoming obsolete..

As to your airbag question...you never ever ever disable/relocate anything related to airbags and their respective sensors...everything must stay as the OEM intended. :nono:

Run the biggest trans cooler you can find. A trans temp gage to monitor trans temps is also a wise decision.
  3. JBFab

JBFab Junior Member

I'm pretty sure it is a Uni-Mount from the pictures I've seen of other Uni-Mounts on google. If I remember correctly there is a red foot that it sits on for storage, and to hook it up you insert 2 pins on the A-Frame, and then pivot the lights up and use 2 short bar links to hold them up. (They were probable 3/4 plate maybe 6-8 inches long)

Yep absolutely no problem there, I have even considered converting it to some sort of self aligning quicktatch type hook up. But lets not put the cart in front of the horse.

So where can a guy find something like that? Approximate cost??

Got it - no airbag modifications - I just remember how I used to plow with that Bronco, and I'm pretty sure I would have gotten a face full of bag a number of times if it were so equipped.

It does have a rather large stock trans cooler, and it has a stock trans temp gauge as well, although it is just a dummy gauge, it won't tell you the specific temp just Hi Low or somewhere in between. Thanks for your quick reply!
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you definitely have a Unimount.

The plug in harness can be purchased at any local Western dealer or from one of the several on-line plow parts places...like Central Parts Warehouse for example.

Which harness p/n will depend on which style headlights your truck has..

For the HB5's you'd need plug in harness p/n: 61591
    And for the 2B's (sealed beams) you'd need p/n: 61546

You should also use the 61185 relay kit...or simply change the marker and turn bulbs on the plow over to LED to lessen the load on the trucks marker light circuit...either way is fine.