1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Converting a F-350 to F-450/550

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by itsgottobegreen, Apr 24, 2007.

1. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Ok I got a really Nice 1999 F-350 super cab dump with central hydros. Well I really need a F-450/550. Since 2300lb load capacity isn't cutting it anymore. Nor are the crappy brakes. Which decide if they feel like they are going to work or not. I really don't want to get rid of the truck. Since its almost paid for and we need another dump truck anyways. (international 4300/4400 super cab hooklift)

What I would like to do is put a set of F-450/550 front and rear axels, brakes, and springs. I have seen pictures of someone do this before.

I would like to know anybody got an idea what it would cost to do. Or know where a wrecked 4x4 F-450/550 is sitting around. Or have done this before? Fred I know you have some idea?

I know that the GVW is going to be messed up. But in maryland as long as the door sticker is missing. They go off the GVW on the title. (nice to have a buddy who works at the mva)

2. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

You forgot to add a frame and transmission to your list of needed parts

3. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

you wouldnt need a frame the 350-550 have the same frame

4. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Transmission are the same 250 - 550 The frame is different as all 450-550 were cab and chassis. The rear springs from a 450-550 will not work on a 250-350 as they are roughly
    3" shorter in length. The front spring are the same. The front axle is a direct bolt in but the rear width of the cab and chassis would require new spring perches be added to the axle.

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

This is a F-350 cab and chassis.