1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Converting a 7'6"V into an 8'2" V

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MSS Mow, Feb 9, 2007.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm switching out my 7'6" blades for 8'2" blades next week. Instead of buying a whole new plow, it's very easy and relatively inexpensive to just replace the blades. I'll be getting the upgraded ones too, with the curb guards, new built in center snow catcher, etc. Can't wait. I had my 7'6" on a 1/2 ton Ford and now I have a GMC2500HD that can handle the bigger plow so I'm moving on up. wesport wesport

Around $500.

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

$500! so i can replace my old bent up 8.2v boards with basically a new setup for a fraction of the price of a new one?

please enlighten me on the process, tell me more

3. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

i would love to know where your getting new blades and scraper edges for $500...

Last time i checked. 8.2 wings were $575 each. and i havnt even priced the new style scraper edges.

4. payton

payton Senior Member

id love to know where ya found those prices..

as i rebuilt my 8'2" v this past oct. and it was almost $1500..

thats with new style edges curb gaurds and center section.

payton

5. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Well, it depends on the quality of your existing blades. Since you would be trading them in towards the larger blades, the amount get in return depends on whether your dealer can reuse them or not.

I'll tell you after I get it done. I didn't realize it should cost so much. I don't want to ruin my quote. :D

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The price of the Boss "wings" is $500 for a set. (that you add on to your plow)

Keep us posted on how your project works out.

The new cutting edges(formed) are around $160 each, you will need two, plus bolts.

A blade half with a edge will cost you from $600 to $700 each.

7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm not adding "wings" to my existing 7'6" plow. I'm changing out the "blade half" as you call it (I wish I could think of a better word for these cause wing is not the correct term), to the 8'2" version. No "wings" attached, just an 8'2" plow that has the new formed cutting edges, curb guards, etc.

I'll be sure to post once the project is complete. I'm dropping it off in the morning. Should be finished Monday or Tuesday.

8. payton

payton Senior Member

there (boss dealer) is doing all this for 500? where i wanna come buy some **** from that man..find out how much a handheld controler cost.. mines breakin up.

payton

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Terminology; "blade half" as I call it, is from Boss's site.

Part Number BAL00702
    Ship Weight 226.00 lbs.
    Description BLADE HALF W/EDGE ASSY,RT3,LEFT(8'2V)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  10. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Sorry, didn't realize that's what Boss actually called it. Just sounded funny. Thanks for the info.

I'll let everyone know once it's done the exact figure and exactly what was done.

11. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I'll ask for yah.

12. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

:confused: i still dont know exactly what is going on here. anyhow, good luck with your endeavors and report back with the progress.

13. payton

payton Senior Member

how can ya not know what is going on. hes got a 7'2" or 7'"6 (cant rember) v blade and hes changing blades halfs to convert it into an 8'2" boss v. thus gaining a wider blade.

and if hes getting it for the price he claims hes stealing the blades halfs since one section of blade half with new style cuttin edge run 700 bucks.

payton

14. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

the situation might be that the vendor by chance has 2 people wanting to switch....one wanting to go smaller and one wanting to go larger....i dont know...or the vendor has another client with a bent up 7'6 and is swaping his and making a little money in the end

just as an FYI i was a set of 8'2 poly wings for sale on EBAY today

15. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Update

UPDATE

I got my plow back today from my dealer. Changed out my 7'6" "blade halfs" and replaced with 8'2" "blade halfs". The new blade halfs do have the new cutting edges that elimate the center rubber snow catcher and includes the curb guards.

Cost: $530.xx.

16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a deal, though personally I would have made the swap to 9'-2" blade halves (assuming they fit too), since the move from 7'-6" to 8'-2" is only 4" per side... and the truck can easily handle the bigger blade.

Really sounds like a great price! Were there any special circumstances? Or he just ordered them up for you? Trade in the old ones?

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

What is there #
    I'll take a set uninsulated at that price with the new edges.
    I could sell the edges and recoup half the cost.
    I wonder how much shipping will cost. lol

That deal sounds too good to be true.

UTB, are you seeing this?

18. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Sounds like a great deal. Have to ask though was the dealer swapping it out with another customer. At that price with labor it sounds like you got the "halfs" for less then the price of scrape iron. Good for you!

19. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I thought about the 9'2" but that's quite a bit more plow. I didn't want to sag out the truck too much. Plus, the 8'2" will be plenty for me. I've always had a 7'6".

No special circumstances. I traded in the old ones for the new ones. The dealer put them onto the rigging that he took the new ones off and will sell the 7'6" as a used plow but still with a warranty on the hydraulics, etc. Basically the $500 that I spent will pay for the labor of switching them, and then will reduce the price of the other plow when he sells it.

But, there was not another customer lined up to take it. I would say that the dealer was just happy to sell anything. The way this winter has gone, I think we can all understand that.

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The rest of the story, why not tell us this before?
    Wow, all thees posts just to get to what really was happing.
    You traded in your plow for a bigger one. Then he sells your plow to off set the cost.

Still makes no sense. "will sell the 7'6" as a used plow but still with a warranty on the hydraulics." but you say he just put the blade halfs on your plow.

Again, What is there phone # I want one too.