1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

converting 86 chevy western conventional mounting to fit 95 chevy

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by berlincam86, Jan 8, 2011.

1. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

I have a 86 chevy thats rotted out and i also have a 95 chevy in good shape. I want to switch the plow to the 95 chevy has anyone done this and what do i have to do to make it fit? Pics would be nice if available. the 86 has the frame mounted behind the bumper.

2. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

Anyone? Has there been a topic on this before? Can someone send me a link?

3. 791ton

791ton Junior Member

Assuming you are using the uni-mount, I have the mount for that the 88-98 Chevy/GMC

4. 791ton

791ton Junior Member

Assuming you are using the uni-mount, I have the mount for the 88-98 Chevy/GMC

5. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

its a conventional mount.

6. bill7101

bill7101 Member

I modified a cable convetional plow from a 76 chevy to my 92 GMC, it wasnt hard, just have to cut and modify the mount mine was alonger A frame so it was easy to make the lower mounts and the upper was a little more fabricating because the frames were just a little wider from the older truck to the 92, if no one else can get you pics I can get them tomorrow after work and post them for you

7. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

that would be great. thank you.

8. bill7101

bill7101 Member

here are the pics, best I could do since when I get home its dark already, if you want better ones I can try this weekend. Remeber my A frame on the plow is the longer one, if you have shorter you will have a little differnt mount design because it wont be so close to the front cross member like mine.

Plow 1.jpg

plow 2.JPG

plow 3.JPG

plow 4.JPG

plow 5.JPG

9. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

Ok those are good pics it gives me a idea of how to to go about it. Thanks

10. Struble032

Struble032 Junior Member

do you still have the uni mount and would you ship it

11. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

In my opinion, I would take the mount from the 86, bring it to a good welder with the truck you want it to be install on, and let him do the correct modification. In the pictures were your getting your idea from, seem like the front part of the frame is the only part absorbing the shock of the plow.. I have a 94, and my mount has two short thrush arms that support the mount itself and also absorbs some of the shock from the plow.....

12. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

I just wanted a idea of what i have to do. I will have thrust arms too. my mount is differant from his anyway. Im good with a welder but unless i have a starting point or idea to work with i suck at fabrication.

13. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Just making sure you were aware..

14. bill7101

bill7101 Member

actually the it is mounted on the crossmember and its put that way so that it can handle the shock of the plow, the only thing that is on the front of the frame is the pump mount for lifting, if that would take any shock then that would mean I hit something hard enough to rip the crossmember of my frame out.

15. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

BILL7101 can you post a pic of the whole mount on the truck. I just got around to putting my plow on. I think my plow lights are a little low and the A-frame mounts are a little close to the ground.