1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

converting 3 plug ultra to 2 plug ultra

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fatboyNJ, Feb 8, 2012.

1. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

i know ive seen a thread on this before but cant find it

my truck is currently wired for a 2 plug ultramount with the relay system,
    i want to change a 3 plug ultra mount over to 2 plug wiring so i can just use my wiring which i and my father am more comfortable using, diagnosing and fixing if need be

i know its been done, anyone done this and know what i need and can give me some clues
    thanks for the help
    gary

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

if you mean you have found another ultramount plow that is set up for the 3plug isolation module wiring, and you want to convert it to relay, you can just change the lights (part # 61540-1, they are already wired together to the plug and include the wires to the coils), or rewire the lights that are on it (with harness # 61438).
    Neal Redding, parts mgr, TEI, Des Moines

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If I understand you correctly, you want to take a three plug ultra-mount plow and converte it to a two wire? That's like taking a late model vehicle with fu el injection and converting it to steam power. Familiarity is a good thing but consider moving along with the times my friend. If you really want to do this you first need to look at the plugs on your truck and count the pins. One will have two large pins and the other will have 7, 9 or 12 pins. When you can tell us how many pins that plug has we can give you part numbers for the harness. But you may have a bit of troble making the wires fit since they were never designed to be installed on this plow. The headlamp ends should be fine because the uni had longer headlight extensions but the valve cables might need to be modified a bit.

Consider carfully what you are doing. If you have your truck rigged for a uni your mounts aren't going to work right?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Huh?? :confused:

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

What part if this are you struggling with? Seems simple to me, converting an ultra to uni control / light harness.

6. cubicinches

It is simple... He's converting a three plug Ultra Mount to a two plug Ultra Mount... for use on a truck that is wired for a two plug Ultra Mount.

He either need an complete set of lights (61540-1), or re-wire the lights he has with harness number 61438. Just like Neal said in post #2.

I'm not struggling with any of it... Just not sure where you're coming up with all the other confusing stuff in your post?

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

when Ultramounts first came out they were relay wiring just like unimounts. 61540-1 are the lights they used, so there wouldn't be a problem getting those to mount on an ultramount regular straight plow.
    If you were looking at an HTS or Wide-out or MVP+ you of course wouldn't be able to change it to relay, but that's more an issue of looking at the plow, not the wiring on his truck.
    btw what relay wiring plow had 7 pins? I'm not remembering any like that.

Neal Redding, parts mgr, TEI , Des Moines, IA

8. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

Just to clear it up my truck is currently wired for a unimount. 2 plus 9 pin. I do belive it's the same wiring used for the early ultra mounts Is that correct?
    I appreciate all the help from the ones who offer their knowledge of the subject
    Thanks again

9. cubicinches

That's correct.

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

Yup, as long as it's a regular straight plow (pro steel, pro poly, std steel, std poly) not a v-plow or HTS or Wideout, etc.

11. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Steam power? Really? The relay system might not be as reliable as the iso but its not horrible by any means.

12. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

thank you, i know the newer system is an improvement but id like to keep the trucks i have the same til i am ready to switch the other,

thanks again everyone for their help

13. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

I often switch from relay to iso and back for other contractors for just that reason. Keeping things the same allows you to switch plows from truck to truck if you have breakdowns. Goodluck!

14. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

thanks for the help and advice guys, just finished up converting it to to plug and works just as i wanted:mechanic:

15. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I have to back you on this one. I make my 3 plug plows into 2 plugs. All my trucks can run any of my ultramounts, and if I am in a real pinch, I can throw on the conversion bracket and hook to a unimount. I like lots of options!