1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Convert v-belt Pump to electric Pump

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Horvath, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Horvath

Horvath Junior Member

Does Fisher offer a Electric under the hood pump to replace the V-belt under the hood Pump?
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If i remember right, they did offer one with the old speed caster right before they went to the minute mount with the SHEP pump. Probaly be hard to find a decent one these days. Another possibility is a Monarch, Barnes, or Fenner pump. Call your local truck equipment/plow dealer and tell them your looking for a Hyd/elect power unit to run your front plow and they should be able to get you what you need.
  3. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I have an underhood electric pump w/valve body and controls that i would like to sell. if you're interested give me a ring at 781-789-4595. Thanks, Roy
  4. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

As others have stated, yes, they did make one. But the belt driven system is much more desirable. Is your pump broken?

FYI: you can still get a new belt-driven pump.
  5. W250CTD

W250CTD Junior Member

What makes the belt driven pumps more desirable? Are the electric ones prone to problems/failure? I'm thinking of buying a used setup w/ an electric pump.
  6. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I have owned several trucks with belt drive setups (still have one on my 89 F250)and have found them to be virtually bulletproof. I have also had a couple of trucks with underhood electric pumps and consider them a very close second in the reliability dept(in 5 years of commercial use 1 solenoid failure). The electric pump is quite a bit faster and the operation isn't reliant upon engine rpm. On the other hand the belt driven pump isn't a drain on the battery and will usually give some warning before a pump failure. Hope this helps, Roy
  7. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I will second the reliability of the under hood belt driven pump. Had one on a 78 f100 since new. 25 plus years and not 1 problem with the pump or control valve. Got rid of it in 05 and I think they are still plowing with it.