1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Convert truck side 4 port 2 plug to 3 plug ?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snowpoe, Oct 30, 2015.

1. snowpoe

snowpoe Member

Here's the story. I have 2 Western Ultra mount Straight 7.5 blades with the 3 plug set up and I have 1 truck with a 4 port 3 plug set up (2001 1500 Silverado) and I can get a deal on a 4 port 2 plug set up for my 2nd truck (2003 2500HD Chevy). Can I convert the 4 port 2 plug to a 3 plug set up by just buying a different harness. Is it that simple or will it cost to much to make this not such a good deal. Any answers , part #s or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
  2. snowpoe

snowpoe Member

. Never mind. I just drove 2 hrs and bought the set up. It turns out that it does have 3 plugs and the guy selling it did not know and told me it only had 2. There probably is no such thing as a 2 plug 4 port . Lol
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'm Gunna say no, wait for a few other western gurus to chime in tho
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Four port or three plug isolation module doesn't really matter. It's the number of plugs at the grill that's the stickler. Three plug systems are analog, that is to say that there is a wire in the plug for every valve coil. The two plug is multiplex or digital. There are only two small wires to carry all the signals for all the functions. One wire carries all the commands from the hand held controller and the other wire carries diagnostic messages from the plow back to the controller. Converting from a late model three plug to a multiplex two plug would not be practical, it's just too much money and fabrication.

There is, by the way, a setup for four port two plug. If you have a four port module and the headlight harness you can even make a brand new ultra-mount II work on it. The only real difference between four port and three port is on the headlight harness side. The three port has a single harness going to and from the truck headlights. It's built like a "Y" with one long leg (for the far side headlight) and one short leg for the closer headlight. The four port module had two separate cables, one long one for the far side and a second short one for the near side. Other than that the rest of the wiring is exactly the same.