1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

convert to smartlight?????

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by skidooer, Jan 7, 2009.

1. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone has put smartlights on their older plow, my plow is only a year old and the headlights are wobbling all over, the rivets are all loose.

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

My year old Boss lights are also crap.

3. koosh925

koosh925 Junior Member

I looked into doing the same thing a few years back and i was told they were not compatible. I went and got replacement lights.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They are compatible but expensive to do the conversion for all you gain.

Much less expensive route is to retrofit a set of Meyers' newest Night Saber ll's....supurb light output, look good on the Boss's, and much less expensive than a SL conversion. Meyer finally got it right. And with a bulb upgrade they're brighter and have as good as (or better) beam pattern than Boss's SL's..

5. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

do they have a recall or fix for these current lights or is it one of under the rug deals and I have to eat it..... I know they will warranty them but it will just be the same lights same story.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Boss knows about the loose rivet deal...and yes they should cover it.

7. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

dealer checked and it would be $625 to do the conversion, that includes the lights,bar,wiring harness and relays

8. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

To do the conversion to the SmartLights, you need the following:
    MSC08881 - 13 pin Plow side Harness, 08+ MSRP $112.95
    MSC11100 - Headlight kit, 08+ MSRP $319.00
    LBA11111 - Light bar Assembly, Strt/V, RT3, 08+ MSRP $55.68
    MSC08050 - Dual Burn relay kit MSRP $31.35
    MSC11109 - Mounting Bracket, Driver side, 08+ MSRP $ 3.85
    MSC11110 - Mounting Bracket, Passenger side, 08+ MSRP $ 3.85
    HDW11114 - Headlight fastener kit 08+ MSRP $ 4.84
    all for a total MSRP of $531.52.
    If you have a 10' Municipal plow, exchange the light bar assembly for part LBA11116 for a couple of dollars more.
    My local dealer is selling the entire package for $475 complete plus shipping if anyone is interested.

9. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

they changed the light assy. because the orig. installers were not tightening the bolts enough (70-80 ft/lb.). If you didn't tighten up enough the light housing is screwed the first time you hit something. Boss realized the couldn't convince people, so they changed the design. Besides that the new lights do have some great light output.

10. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

How difficult is this swap? Is it a plug and play swap or is it a soldering and splicing deal?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's plug and play on the plow side if you pony up the cash for the new plow side harness.

If you want the dual burn as well you'll need to do some splicing/soldering on the truck side.

12. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

so if i buy the smart lights can i bolt them on and plug them in. cause i have the 08 harness already so im assuming that the new relays are n there and everything?

13. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Yes you can plug-n-play on the plow side. Check your truck harness to make sure you have the 08+ harness for the SmartLight feature, otherwise it is a $32 Relay pack and does require splicing into your existing harness.

14. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

Ive got the new boss lights on my truck, and my dad has the old ones. i just got back from using his truck, and his lights SUCK!!! compared to mine! the new boss lights look like footballs, but man do they work! im buying his truck next month because the lease is up, and im taking my lights with me, im going to swith the plowlights on both trucks. I installed my plow and wiring myself, and used an older harness. It wasnt hard at all to do the dual burn relay, its just like 3 wires you tap into other with and it snaps into place with your other relays.....Well worth it!

15. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

It would appear I'm alone on this, but I hate the new boss lights. I don't think they are nearly as bright as the previous style. I can run with high beams on, and no one flashes me. It's the only thing I don't like about my new 9'2" Boss V. My 8'2" V that is 3 years old has much brighter lights.

16. Onebadbowtie86

Then something is wrong with your lights... boss designed these lights to be brighter......

17. Onebadbowtie86

My boss lights are brighter then my 2003 gmc's stock lights for a refernce point, they are whiter also. i get flashed all the time...

18. ProMac1K

ProMac1K Junior Member

OK, wanted to bring this topic back up. Just purchased a new XT today (as opposed to the used one I was looking at in another post) do to the reviews and swift marketing of Boss on their new Smartlights. Just didn't want to sacrifice anything, based on what I had heard. In their brochure they show a pic with them staring down a road with trees on both side, and show to give sufficient light out to 100ft I believe. Incredible looking........ But coming home in the dark tonight, I also never got flashed with the brights on. IMO, the brights are dimmer than the brights on the pickup, or on a oncoming car for that matter. :eek: I was honestly uncomfortable driving with it, even in bright mode. The light color is pleasing though. Anyone know if the output of the dual-burns is supposed to be stepped up, or where are they getting their output from? :realmad:

19. Onebadbowtie86

maybee you need to adjust the lights, spin them up. i prefer driving with my plow on at night so i can use the lights on my plow! and the lights on my 03 gmc arent dim either, especially with th efog lamps on....

20. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

The dual burn feature of the SmartLights allows the low beams to stay on with the high beams.