1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Convert Quad Light to Dual

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Flipper12, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Flipper12

Flipper12 Junior Member

I have a 1988 Chevy 2500 with quad light that I purchase for the plow and controls since the framce is cracked. I want to remove it from that truck and put it on my 1988 chevy 2500 with dual lights. What do I need to do? I'm not sure if I should just use the same wire colors that are being used now. The adapter is $50 from Western, but not sure if I want to spend the money if I can just install in to the wiring harness. Will I need to purchase new relays for this job?

2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Flipper, the simple way is to do away with the light crossover on the new truck and to splice into the truck wiring along the drivers fender. You can use the relays you have and do the entire job with 4 shrink butt connectors, 4 female spade terminals, 4 pcs of wire about 6" long and a couple of dielectric filled scotch locks and using the rest of what you have on hand.

Jerre

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

That, or just wire the plow lights to a separate switch with their own power supply. I've found this to be brighter than leeching off the factory harness (which is already taxed with stock lights)

4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Johnny, with the addition of an extra pair of relays you can power the plow and the truck off of direct battery power. Jerre

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Right, but I don't like that the plow lights are "automatically" switched, I'd rather have the addition switch so that I can run my truck headlights instead of the plow lights, as they are much brighter. But that comes down to a personal preference thing.