1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Convert Minute Mount Push Plate to Conventional Mount

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Ding, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Ding

Ding Member

How hard would it be to convert a MM push plate to a Conventional push plate.

Here is what I have . . .

• 7.5' Fisher Speedcast (Conventional Mount) plow complete with Dodge push plates that were cut off at the truck attachment points.
    • Driver side Conventional Mount push plate to fit 88 - 98 Chevy K1500 (part # 8867 - from kit AR289)

Here is what I lack . . .

• Passenger side Conventional Mount push plate to fit 88 - 98 Chevy K1500 (part # 8868 - from kit AR289)

I have been unable to find the passenger side push plate.

I am wondering if I get the push plate for a Minute Mount, can I easily weld the headgear attach and brace attach end off the old Dodge push plate in the place of the Minute Mount tab on the new plate?
  2. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

I'd just get another set of used plates, should be a ton of them out there.

I think if you try to convert a MM to the old speedcast your in for a lot of work, or If you have the right equipment, skills and stock just make a mirror image to the push plate you already have. I would think it should be close, maybe a small notch here or hole there may be different from right to left. I'd try using the push pate you already have, just eye it up and see if the shapes the same and if it is go for it!
  3. Ding

Ding Member

First off thanks for the input, it is welcome . . .

I was thinking of using the entire truckside end of the MM push plate, just cutting off the tab and welding on the headgear attachment end of the old conventional plate. It would have to made the right length, height, and offset but that should be fairly easy.

However having not ever modified a Fisher Push Plate before, I was looking for input (such as yours). What part do you see difficulties with?

Does anybody see any other specific difficulties?
  4. Ding

Ding Member

Anybody out there?
  5. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

MMI Modifications

I would think that the MM push plates are in more demand than the old style speed cast push plates, so why not sell them rather than cutting them up? Take the proceeds and purchase a good used set of old style speed cast push plates?

If you have one side already and the truck's frame rails are made the same, just opposite, why not just use the one you have as a template and fabricate all the pieces in a direct opposite fashion to create a "Mirror Image"? Any good welder/ fabricator can do this very easily, but just keep in mind it may cost more than just locating a good used set!

One thing you should think about before you go and create a butchered set, when it breaks in the middle of an intersection or a street, it may cost you more, you may further cause damage to the plow, truck , property damage, or worse some innocent third party.

Never been a fan of trying to muscle 750lbs out of the middle of the road, in the middle of the night, when its twenty below!

I know you probably want to use what you already have, which is great if you've got the skills and equipment, but I have found over many years, every time I try to save a few bucks it generally costs me several more than if I just did it right in the first place.

6. Ding

Ding Member

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have any MM plates, so I would have to acquire them. I am convinced now that it would be better to make the plate from scratch, than to modify the MM plate. It was just a wild idea.

Hopefully I will have the one push plate and the truck all in one place tomorrow so I can see if it would be symetrical or not.

My first option would be to locate a good used set, I just can't find any yet.

This rig will not be used except at one remote location where it is kept. We will snowmobile in, and then plow out to wherever it is plowed by others. All private roads with minimal traffic.

I was using a 50hp tractor with an 8' back blade. Cold and sore neck anytime you want.

Thanks again.