1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Convert cable to electric?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TLB, Jan 20, 2007.

1. TLB

TLB Senior Member

My Western plow is the old cable operated system. Is it possible to convert it over to electric handheld controls?

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Yup, can be switched, but its not cheap (ballpark for new is around $1600). You have to change the whole pump to a new one, wire harness and controller. Might want to look at a Monarch, Fenner or Barnes type Hyd/elec pump that you mount under the hood and then put a lift cylinder in place of your existing pump.

3. TLB

TLB Senior Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I guess it would be cheaper to replace the frayed cables instead.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes it would be cheaper but it's getting hard to find good cables. Everybody is selling S.A.M. (buyers) cables, EVEN WESTERN!!!!!!!!!!!! they are in a plastic sleeve that also serves as the liner, instead of the "real deal" wire wrapped cables. They are hard to get adjusted and won't stay adjusted. They seem to stretch during use then shrink back to size, one of my techs thinks the plastic gets soft and pliable as the engine heats and loses it's length resistance then Stiffens back up as the motor cools. We adjust them, they leave the shop adj. right, then the controls get worse as they use them. We'd see the plow the next day and it would be right until the next time.
    The numbers of cable units operating is shrinking, parts are going to be harder to find.
    Although I have inventory on the shelves, there are no cables.

You could consider a used power head, any western unimount pump would fit. It would be LOTS CHEAPER then new stuff, they are on e bay all the time, plus guys are always trying to sell stuff here on plowsite.

You would need to get a used unimount control harness from any vehicle and cut the loom cover. Use the drawings available from the western site to identify the control wire colors and their locations and wire it straight to the solenoid coils on the pump. you'll have to change out your 12v MS for the newer 4 post unit. I ran one of the first western solenoid controlled isamark units on a 91 dodge dakota with a conventional mount using this set up. Western did my harness, they where getting ready to introduce the uni-mount an had electric controlled pumps available on a limited basis, it was special order but I love new toys and figured it would give the techs a jump on trouble shooting unimount hydraulics when they appeared. Didn't learn nothing damn thing was bulletproof.

5. TLB

TLB Senior Member

thanks for the info basher, I just got this truck to plow my very long driveway and I noticed that the cable was looking very bad where it connect to the pump unit.