1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

convert a blizzard intoa chain lift

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by extremepusher, Oct 31, 2015.

1. extremepusher

extremepusher Senior Member
    from west mi

Has any body converted there blizzard plow to a chain lift plow, especially on a ag tractor? Pics or drawing would be helpful. We're having problems with the side plates of the draw hitch ripping from guys stacking with the tractors. With a chain lift, I would think it would let the blade float more when stacking. Running JD 5085's

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ebling has....

3. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Jim at Ebling converted our JD 5083 with a 8611 Blizzard to a chain lift and pin hook up to the undercarriage a year or two ago. We are very pleased and not concerned about the plow hook up anymore. The blade floats nicely and also has a bit of oscilattion built into the hookup.

4. schrader

schrader PlowSite.com Addict

I converted mine on the 5085 three years ago, works great. Not much to it, fabricated a lift arm, used a hydraulic cylinder I had weld a bracket on to the a frame for the chain. Plow floats nice when stacking now, no more bent up lift assemble and pins.

5. extremepusher

from west mi

That's what I was hoping for. Were did you mount the chain lift on the plow side? In front of the pump or behind it? Any pictures?

6. schrader

schrader PlowSite.com Addict

In front of where the pump used to be, got rid of that too. Runs of the tractor hydros now much better.

7. extremepusher

from west mi

Ok, Were thinking about doing that also.

8. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Sent you a PM

9. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Not a chain lift, but not stock either. Direct couple. Using the OEM Bilzzard manifold and central hydraulics.

IMG_8719.jpg

10. scottr

scottr Senior Member

another shot with bumper and cover on.

IMG_9081.jpg

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Scot did you weld angle stops on your Aframe?

12. scottr

scottr Senior Member

yes, top and bottom

IMG_7630.jpg

13. scottr

scottr Senior Member

cant find a photo of the bottom, sorry.

14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That's ok. Nice work

15. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Ha, I did find one :D

IMG_7578.jpg

16. adino1954

adino1954 Junior Member
    from ct

[​IMG]

Here is my chain lift,works great

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  17. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

It looks like you guys have some experience with the full size on tractors. We set the pictured rig up for this year. It is a stock full size. What problems can you foresee it this setup?

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

18. scottr

scottr Senior Member

is it a chain lift? cant tell in the photo. looks like it will push great, I dont know much about that type of tire for traction, but nice loking job.

19. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Bliz, do you know if theres a higher GPM S6 valve fot the lift on a Blizzard 810? I'm running my central hyd. system, front and rear. My rear valve is rated at 5 GPM and lifts very fast, I'm using the OEM lift ram off a 810. My front uses a slighter larger ram with bigger rod size. I have done the calcs. and I have a very close match in lifting power and stroke. my rear plow is a 810 without the wings, however the weight is about the same as with wings, due to the lifting frame I built. this is a poor picture, but gives an idea.
    So, recap, is there a valve out there rated at a higher GPM than the stock S6 valve ( that will thread into the blizzard manifold) thanks for any ideas.

image.jpg

20. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

No, hookup is exactly the same as a truck. No plow mods.

I am thinking you want a faster lift of the front plow. I am not sure if the problem you are having is flow or pressure related. If you are correct and it is flow related you can see if Delta offers a larger oriface valve. The current Delta number is 85002279 (stamped S3A00). However you might still be barking up the wrong tree, so to speak, and here is why.

My concern is that you are having a pressure and/or a flow issue. You are lifting with the rod side of your lift cylinder. The factory setup lifted with the base side. You have reduced the amount of fluid needed to perform the lift function. This should, in theory, have a faster than stock lift speed with your similar to stock cylinder. However, with less fluid performing the same amount of work, that fluid is working at a much higher pressure and may be bypassing the main system relief and/or working your central hydraulics to the max. Additionally, more fluid is leaving the base side of your cylinder during a lift function and the flow may be restricted as it passes through the S8 valve. This is more likely the valve that would need to allow more GPM. The current valve Delta number is 86020195 (stamped S3A00).

Does that help?