1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

convert 3 plug ultra mount to 2 plug.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tjctransport, Aug 11, 2016.

1. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have an opportunity to buy 3 8.5 ft 3 plug ultramount plows for $400.
    they are in very good condition. the town bought a fleet of new trucks, and they all came with new plows.
    only problem is they are 3 plug, and my trucks have 2 plug mounts. what is needed to convert the plows? i am assuming it is just a new plow side wiring harness, and headlights, correct?

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

your trucks are two plug isolation module multiplex wiring? or old relay two plug wiring?

changing the lights on the plow would be if you are converting it to the old relay style two plug.

converting a plow to 2 plug multiplex is waaaay more than that, and wouldn't want to do it. especially not to three plows.

3. tjctransport

my trucks have brand new 1 year old 2 plug setup. i believe it is called fleet flex? ultra mount 2.
    i only want to make 1 or 2 plugs out of the 3 as backups, and keep 1 or 2 as parts donors.
    i like to have spares ready to go in case something breaks. this way i can just swap instead of fixing in a storm.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

I you have fleet flex, and the plows are the three plug style, in a nutshell, it ain't working.
    Get them cheap, and just flip them and pocket the cash.

5. tjctransport

yes i know they will not work as is Randall.
    what i was wondering is if i can convert them to work fleet flex

6. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

You might want to go to westerns website and look at the parts breakdowns for both plows. Make sure all the valves are the same and see what parts are different. With the wire harness you will probably have to get the new controll box for the plow.

Joeynapp likes this.
  7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

It might be easier to covert truck to run both.

I don't know for sure.

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes it's probably going to make more sense to have both kinds of wiring on the truck. I've heard of that, and it seems like I saw a diagram here on PS. But we've never done it.
    However we DID convert a plow over to fleet flex.. Like I said it's a bunch of stuff. I have a list of parts we used.....

CONVERT 3PLUG PLOW TO FLEETFLX

1.00 28581-1 HARNESS PLOW CONTROL 53.82 53.82
    1.00 29071 CABLE ASSEMBLY 8" 10.48 10.48
    2.00 29099 1/4-20X1/4 HEX WASHER HEAD 0.67 1.34
    1.00 42015 CABLE ASSY PLOW 86.78 86.78
    1.00 42287 BRACKET - PLOW MODULE FLEET FL 21.10 21.10
    1.00 42902 MOTOR RELAY,(INT)FLEET FLEX 16.81 16.81
    1.00 44354-3 PLOW MODULE 212.70 212.70
    2.00 44355 1/4-20X5/8 HEX WASHER HEAD 0.94 1.88
    1.00 48444 CONNECTOR PLUG, 10 POSITION 8.61 8.61
    1.00 68314-1 PLASTIC COVER FOR FLEET FLEX 72.39 72.39

hmm. not as bad as I thought. about $485.
    I also noted that Western doesn't recommend doing this. You can't just bolt the stuff on, because it's not designed to mount on there. We did do one successfully several years ago.

9. tjctransport

for future reference, i just got off the phone with FDR hitches, the New Jersey Western supplier.
    pump is the same and it will be around $200 for a new plow side harness plus headlights if i want to convert to the nighthawk lights.

10. LapeerLandscape

Are you sure you dont need the new module.

11. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes you need a module. and the motor relay is out there at the power unit instead of under the hood. FDR hitches isn't thinking correctly. see my list above. and no, you don't need to change the headlights. Any 3 plug iso plow is going to have 11 pin lights whether they have Night Hawks or the older 64100's, and those are still used with fleet flex.

12. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

No way you are converting to fleet flex for $200. Only difference in light harness will be the plugs that go on the lights.

13. 1olddogtwo

No way for 200.00

At min, you need new battery cable, module and pigtail, relay and cable.

I don't know for sure, I'm picturing what on my fleet flex plus you have to mount it on plow.

14. tjctransport

i am going by what he said, that i only need a new harness to separate the headlights and plow control functions.
    the power plug is the same 2 pin, so i know i do not need that. as far as light go, i don't need them either if i don't want to put them on. i don't drive around with the plow lifted, if it is on the truck, it is also down on the road and the truck lights work fine with the plow on the truck. .

15. LapeerLandscape

My power plugs on all our fleet flex are 4 pin, 2 large pins and 2 small. The 2 small pins are what controls all the functions of the plow through the module. The other plug on the fleet flex is for the lights only and I am pretty sure it has to be pluged in for the plow to work.

16. Plowin Dodge

Plowin Dodge Member

I went the other way. from 3 plug to fleet flex. needed a battery cable and control harness.my module was the same

17. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What? You don't drive around with the plow lifted? Why are we even discussing converting the plow, hook it up and go.

Light harness is the same for all Fisher plows as far as the 11 pin end so no need to swap this. Like mentioned power cable is different for fleet flex so this will need to changed. Fleet flex also has a small module out on the plow pump. The relay needs installed on the plow pump. Now you will also need the covers to protect relay and module. So what ever supplier you are talking to either didn't understand your question or is a complete idiot.

We are discussion converting plow side not truck side. Again in fleet flex there are two modules, one for lights and one on the plow for plow functions.

18. Plowin Dodge

Plowin Dodge Member

sorry I misunderstood

19. tjctransport

when i said i don"t drive around with the plow lifted, i meant i don"t do small work. i put the plow on, and go to work. the only time i lift is to go to go home when finished. and then i only lift the plow around 6 inches and do not go faster than around 20-25mph..
    i am not one of those types that have the cutting edge 2 foot off the ground and driving down the road 50-60 mph.
    i have a 2 pin battery power plug, and an 11 pin plug that controls lights and plow functions on the truck, and new plow. .

20. 1olddogtwo

If you have flex, then it's a four pin battery cable.