1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Conversion poly to steel blades

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowtime1, Oct 6, 2008.

1. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

looking to solve a small problem,we have an account that requires a less abbrasive blade(its a parking garage). In the past,we utlilized a minuteman plow with a poly (left onsite,changed out when truck arrives to plow,there is security here!) Are there any new options to consider by manufacturers without having to leave a complete set up. The account pays well but we would rather plow more utilizing the set-up. any help would greatly be appreciated.

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i plowed for a hospital , and we alwasy used a steel edge no problems

i dont see why , if they ask for poly , that you cant plow other lots with it.... just you might use a little more salt , so put that blade on a lot that pays you per ton on salt rather than per application.... -

3. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Thanks elite,

thank for the quick reply.
    I understand your thoughts on this, and I too cant agree anymore to your suggestion. This parking area (toplevel only) has a skim coat of material that resonates a sparkling appearance during other seasons. I was in hopes to have a new found remedy through innovation. anyone else? or mak'em pay big to leave the blade(lol)

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

is it just one area that has this surface? how large is that incomparison to the rest of the plowable area? do you also do side walks there?

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ive seen poly shoes, slap them on for this guy and change them out for others pushes

6. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

thanks elite,
    there are no sidewalks incorporated here.
    The total sq footage is approx.50,000 top level only that has this covering.
    I summize it was covered to protect cars underneath from water seeping through the expansion joint ares etc.

7. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

plowmeister,

poly shoes? details please....thanks

8. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

plowmeister,

just picked up a 2000 wrangler sport..6 cyl. auto...wish to outfit..any suggestions based on your experience? I was going to utlize the jeep if I cannot remedy the situation with the parking garage with a poly blade and also for clean ups. what do you think? Thanks in advance everyone.

9. theplowmeister

from MA

I saw them at the Northeast plow expo I dont know who or where.

10. theplowmeister

from MA

A jeep will work great in small areas. How much area are you going to plow with it?

11. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I decided in the event.. I couldn't remedy the garage problem, I would entertain utilizing the jeep 6 1/2 poly set-up for the garage. I KNOW..IKNOW...it defeats the purpose... but leaving a 8" blade which would be converted back to original state.
    So by using the jeep, even with a poly it would be a positive for clean ups elswhere. I will have to research a bit more about the poly shoes?

12. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Plowmeister,
    I will be using the jeep for 50,000 sq ft. clearing and will utilize for clean ups for other sites serviced.
    Any ideas on the best set-up?

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

i wouldnt worry about the shoes... even when i tried poly edges i took all our shoes off... maybe that was a mistake...those that use poly edge could tell you more on that

jeep sounds good, look into the snow way plow with Down pressure, i wouldnt use the DP on the parking garge, but it might help make up for the poly ege on other places that you plow...

14. theplowmeister

from MA

500 X 100 that would end up with a lot of snow in front of the jeep:dizzy:. If it's shaped so you dont end up with such a snow load Id go with a snoway 26 or 29 with DP and ~300 of back weight, Air shock all around and EXULTANT SNOW / ICE tires Blizzak or similar (its all about traction). You will have a great machine.:D

15. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Thank you for your suggestions, I will most likely go with the snow-way; I had seen them at the Snow Expo in Marlboro a few weeks back. I will also push the snow "when & if" every 2" inches.
    Thanks again for all the help everyone

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I thought the poly edges were because of the expansion joints on parking garages, that's what they want when I bid them. As far as more salt, most places are trying to get away from using salt on PG because of damage to the rebar and concrete. If you bid it and they spec'd it and you cause damage, it's your fault.

17. elite1msmith

from chicago

jd is right on the salt part... i worked at one for 4 years..

18. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Thanks Jd and Elite,
    They currently use treated sand, I've been in the contracting field for sometime and agree with you both. Yes, we add a clause to our agreement indicating the potential harm. :drinkup: