1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Conventional

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mezz2006, Nov 6, 2009.

1. mezz2006

mezz2006 Junior Member

Hi all, I am new to the plowing thing. I just picked up an older 6 1/2' cable operated western plow. It came with everything but the mount and pump frame. I am going to be mounting it on my 2000 Dodge Dakota.

I was doing some thinking and looking at pictures and am thinking I might be able to make this into a "UniMount" even though it isn't a unimount plow. I figure since I have to build a truck mount for it anyways why not design it so I can mount and remove the plow and lights without having to deal with removing and installing the bumper everytime.
    Will it work?

Thanks.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

All depends on how good your are with a welder and torch! And without any design pics or ideas its hard to say.

Oh yeah, how you going to deal with those lovely cabels to the pump every time?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I wish you the best of luck getting those cables routed from the pump to the joystick too.

Bottom line, while anything is possible...everything is not always a wise idea.

4. mezz2006

mezz2006 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies.

I am not looking to pull the pump off all the time, what I want to do is make it so that the mount comes up in front of the Bumper and set up the same or similar to the Unimounts.

I realize, that it is going to be a pain connecting and disconnecting the cables from the pump, but I think that will be less of a pain than removing and reinstalling the bumper every fall and spring. Especially when the snow can be "gone" in the Houghton area for quite a few weeks thus me reomoving the plow mount and reinstalling the bumper, then we can get hit with another 6-8 inches or more and then I have to remove the bumper again and reinstall the plow.

5. Crash935

Leave the mount on the truck year around.

6. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

it can be done. I did it for one. just leave the pump on. drop the plow only. remove the cables and
    unplug to remove truck frame.

7. Crash935

I guess im just confused as to what hes really trying to accomplish? By making it a uni type mount he will still have the mount on the truck. I guess i dont see where he thinks he needs to remove the mount if its a conventional every year just because the pump and lights are still on the truck.

8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

no........

9. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

yes it can

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Explain how to those of us seeking knowledge:confused:

11. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

check post six

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

pictures...

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

subscribed

14. Crash935

I did, half of it makes me think the pump is just hanging out on the front of the truck and the other half sees you removing and reinstalling the cable every time.

Pics would help,

guess were not that smart!

15. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

ya no way around removing the cables. blade is disconnected when ever, but the pump stays on. End of the season or whenever you want the frame can be removed leaving the attach points by removing the cables and wires then removing the front frame.

16. Crash935

Then it sounds like what you still have is a conventional plow.

17. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

the difference being easy to remove for summer or whenever you need/want a clean front.

It is not perfect but it works. Otherwise to truly convert you would need to change the valve bank, wiring, controller and a quick plug for the battery cables. Might as well buy a new plow for the cost.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

BINGO we have a winner.:yow!:

19. mezz2006

mezz2006 Junior Member

Thanks drp, That is exactly what I mean.

I know it will not be a true unimount as it is a cable pump, but I want the ability to have the clean front since it is my daily driver. I don't want to drive around all summer with the plow pump and lights still attached to my truck thus the reason why I want to have it mount like a Unimount.

If I already had a truck side frame for it, I wouldn't worry about it, but since I need build my frame anyways, I figure why not make it so that the pump and light frame can be removed along with the plow itself giving me a clean look.

The more I look at the unimount insturctions for my dakota, the easier this is looking. I have some plans already drawn up, I just need to get a few dimensions in order to have my mount points in the correct locations

When I get it made up I will post up some pictures.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So why not the conventional mount if that is all you want. The lights and light brackets unbolt from the conventional mount main frame as does the pump.and under carriage if you want more clearance, all you are left with is the "brush guard" and do it all with-out moving the weight load center forward.

http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/13574_090190.pdf

just for an example